And That Happened: Wednesday's Scores and Highlights

Jul 22, 2010, 5:48 AM EST

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but the Mets and Phillies lost.

Dodgers 2, Giants 0: Chad Billingsley puts an end to L.A.’s skid by spinning a five-hit shutout of the Giants.  Good thing he went the distance too, because Don Mattingly was managing last night due to Joe Torre’s suspension and that way he didn’t need to make a mound visit.

Padres 6, Braves 4: Billy Wagner has been outstanding this year, but even he’s gonna get hit once in a while. Atlanta had a two-run lead heading into the ninth, but the Padres rallied and then plated two more in the 12th.  Can’t win ‘em all and, hey, with Philly and New York seemingly losing ‘em all, no harm, no foul.

Mariners 2, White Sox 1: A hell of a pitchers’ duel, as King Felix shuts out the Sox over eight innings and Gavin Floyd shuts down the M’s over seven.  The pens continued to put up blanks through the tenth innings. But Brandon League gave up an RBI single in the top of the 11th and Bobby Jenks — not to be outdone —  gave up a two-run single in the bottom of the inning.  Oh wait — I guess he was to be outdone.  Looks we’re back to a closer controversy in Chicago too, as Ozzie Gullen said after the game that “all options are open now” when it comes to who will close games for the Sox.

Cardinals 5, Phillies 1: See what I mean? Jaime Garcia shuts down the Phillies, but don’t worry, Philadelphia is totally the best team in the NL. You have to believe that too, because it was written in a newspaper.  As for the Cardinals, if what those irresponsible, rumor-mongering blogger heathens are saying is true, Garcia probably wouldn’t even get a start in the NLDS.

Diamondbacks 4, Mets 3: New York managed only seven runs in three games while getting swept by the lowly Dbacks. Even worse, they went scoreless in eight innings against the Dbacks’ pen last night, and that’s no easy thing to do. But hey, Oliver Perez pitched a scoreless inning and a third in relief!

Pirates 15, Brewers 3: Pedro Alvarez hits two homers for the second straight night. He’s good, no question, but it helps that the Brewers’ staff couldn’t get your momma out.

Marlins 5, Rockies 2: Every few weeks there’s a series that feels like it has lasted 11 days. That is the Florida-Colorado series. I know objectively that they’ve played only three games and have one more scheduled for today, but if you put a gun to my head and asked me how I really felt, I’d say they kicked off this series sometime last September. Florida has won four of five, by the way.

Tigers 4, Rangers 1: Max Scherzer threw seven scoreless innings to help the Tigers break the skid.  Ron Washington got to take a late night flight home from Detroit last night, he faces the division rival Angels tonight, and between now and game time has to schlep over to Fort Worth to testify in the Rangers’ bankruptcy hearing in which his boss Nolan Ryan has a direct personal stake in the outcome. No pressure, Ron.

Nationals 8, Reds 5: Strasburg gives up three runs on seven hits in five and two-thirds, but he struck out seven and that’s what the people came to see. And let’s cut the guy some slack: he was facing the best offense in the NL in that bandbox they call a home park.

Athletics 6, Red Sox 4: Clay Buchholz comes back and the results weren’t pretty: five runs on six hits in four innings and that was that. The Sox are 2-5 since the break.

Royals 5, Blue Jays 2: I know wins don’t matter, but I was getting tired of seeing Zack Greinke get undeserved losses and no-decisions earlier this year, so I am happy to report that yesterday he won for the fourth time in his last five starts.

Yankees 10, Angels 6: Having Twitter up during a daytime Yankees game is kind of like torture. I love the passion in Yankees fans — really I do — but the degree to which they live and die on every pitch is exhausting enough for those disinterested people watching/reading them, so I have no idea how Yankees fans themselves don’t have heart attacks all the time. Javier Vazquez had a bad day and people freaked. Hideki Matsui hit a homer and people pined for him. Colin Curtis hit an improbable home run and people practically weeped with pride and joy.  It’s not good, it’s not bad, it’s just so . . . emotional.

Astros 4, Cubs 3: Ted Lilly and Brett Myers both help their trade stock by giving up a lone run over seven innings (well, Lilly was seven and a third), but neither got any run support so this one went 12. Geovany Soto wins it on a walkoff jack OK, I have no idea where that came from. Sleep deprivation, I guess. For those of you who aren’t paying attention, Soto is at .295/.412/.529 on the year with 13 dingers.

Rays 5, Orioles 4: For the second night in a row the Rays blew a four-run lead, but this time they held the line and went on to score one more in the sixth which proved to be the game winner. For the Orioles, Ty Wigginton hit his second home run in as many days. Yeah, I’m basically writing about the Orioles only insofar as they are the current receptacles of players who could be useful for other teams at the trade deadline. Wanna make something of it?

1. JasonC23 - Jul 22, 2010 at 6:46 AM

When did Geovany Soto get traded to the Astros?

2. Glenn - Jul 22, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Nothing on Ralph Houk yet? Maybe he should have been a fictional manager! You’re dropping the ball HBT.

3. Craig Calcaterra - Jul 22, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Houk is going to be our first post of the day (the recaps are done mostly the night before. Our post on him will be up within the hour.

4. Glenn - Jul 22, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Should have assumed so, but I want my information instantly!

5. Kevin S. - Jul 22, 2010 at 7:48 AM

Given that the Braves are dueling the Pads for HFA in the LCS, I wouldn’t say really “no harm, no foul.”

6. Ditto65 - Jul 22, 2010 at 8:10 AM

“…I have no idea how Yankees fans themselves don’t have heart attacks all the time.”
    Actually – we do.

7. YankeesfanLen - Jul 22, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Craig doesn’t quite get the whole thing. Went grocery shopping at start of game with my radio and made it through cheering Yanks to 6-0 lead. Usually don’t get this kind of run production early, but had groceries put away and was safely home before things got dicey. And we let Hideki hit all the HRs he wants for sentimental reasons.I didn’t have to plug in deflibulator before Miranda and little C.C. restored natural order.

8. Old Gator - Jul 22, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Then get it from Faux. It won’t be accurate, but since they make it up on the spot, it will be instant. If you’re a Democrat, you’ll fall for it.

9. Old Gator - Jul 22, 2010 at 9:01 AM

I’m still pissed off that they let Matsui go.
    And BTW, Len, I read somewhere recently that there’s going to be yet another remake of Godzilla, as though they could erase the derision occasioned by the last version. I hope they got rid of that idiotic Don Shula chin on this new one.

10. Jonny5 - Jul 22, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Bob Ford is a fan boy who I often am at odds with over his opinions. Anyway nice dig on the title.. The Phills look limp, well besides Ryan Howard anyway. The Braves vs. Phillies schedules are going to be tough to overcome. I wonder if Brett Myers is coming back to Philly. I wonder if Werth will go. I wonder if Ozwalt will be in red stripes? Dan Haren maybe? Anyway, I wonder if all the trade speculation can hurt a club??

11. nps6724 - Jul 22, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Braves are currently 3-2 vs. SD and tied for 1st in the NL. Win today and they win the head-to-head, which is the most you can worry about today.

12. bbeer - Jul 22, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Not only could Randy Wolf not get your momma out, he couldn’t get your great gramma out, or your baby niece. I’m glad he could take Jeff Suppan’s spot, I almost missed a guy like him.

13. Old Gator - Jul 22, 2010 at 9:14 AM

The Feesh apparently intend to treat us to one of their patented mini-winning streaks before the “tropical , disturbance” over Haiti coils itself up into a tropical storm or worse and smacks us upside the head this weekend. Good chance they’ll win today, with Josh Johnson pitching. That’ll make it five out of six, which for the Feesh this year has usually been a warmup for two out of seven. As far as playing this weekend, well, you know how Scrooge McLoria works. He’ll insist on trying to get five in tomorrow to save his TV revenue even if the flag is shredding on the pole, it rains jellyfish, the power cuts out and the stadium lights are tearing loose from their brackets.
    Of course, in times of emergency Macondoans band together regardless of our divergent political, religious and payroll budget beliefs. If this storm causes a load of oil to wash ashore and coat stuff, I’ll volunteer to help Scrooge and the Chihuahua clean the Mermaids.

14. YankeesfanLen - Jul 22, 2010 at 10:22 AM

It finally connected that Greinke pitched yesterday so the Yanks don’t face him for the weekend series. Which means Royals other starters will come in and do 5 innings and we’ll get up to 12 marvelous innings of Farnsworth relief. I’ll take the over for anything less than 27 for the 4 games.

15. webba2000 - Jul 22, 2010 at 10:44 AM

“Twins 6, Indians 0: I tried like hell to find it again and couldn’t, but I swear that yesterday that some writer passed along something he overheard in the Indians’ clubhouse to the effect of “I totally got Liriano’s number” or words to that effect. Whoever it was wasn’t in the lineup yesterday, because no one could touch the guy (7 IP, 6 H, 0 ER).”
    IT WAS IN Catrovince blog. http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/
    He wrote: Overheard by the indoor cages before BP today…
    Player A: “I’ve got [Francisco] Liriano’s number.”
    Player B: “Maybe his phone number.”

16. APBA Guy - Jul 22, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Rust never sleeps, and in Clay Buchholz case, never takes a nap or even gets drowsy. His velocity was good, 94-95 on the Mausoleum gun, so really 92-93, not quite back to normal for him. But walks and balks and home runs…oh my, everything high in the zone. With all the Sox injuries he looks like he was rushed back by 2 starts. Compare to Jair Jurrjens, who’s been en fuego for your Atlantans since his return from injury. And the balk wasn’t called by Davidson, and even I saw it, so no squawking from the players on that one.
    By the way Craig, my mom turned 83, and she swears she could take Manny Parra deep.

17. The Rabbit - Jul 22, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Len, Did you hear my “expletives deleted” yelled at the puter when Girardi brought the TOAD in yesterday? I swear my voice carried from the Ozarks to North Jersey.
    At least the can now tell his grandkids, “I got a hold for the Yankees on July 21, 2010.”

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester