Jul 22, 2010, 7:04 PM EDT
From Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star comes word that the Angels have acquired third baseman Alberto Callaspo from the Royals for righty Sean O’Sullivan and minor league left-hander Will Smith.
The Angels opened the season with Brandon Wood at third base and had high hopes for the 25-year-old, but he’s hit just .168/.185/.225 in 173 at-bats and the Halos have struggled to find an answer at the position.
As a whole, actually, third basemen in Anaheim have posted a combined batting average of .214 this season. That’s the worst combined batting average at any position, on any team, in the majors.
The 27-year-old Callaspo is a pretty solid defender and has batted .275/.308/.410 with eight homers and 43 RBI in 349 at-bats for the Royals. The Angels will hope that he can help the club climb closer to the Rangers, who currently hold a five-game lead in the American League West.
Of course, they had to unload some rather serious talent in the three-player swap. Smith is a fast-rising left-hander and has worked his way to Triple-A at the age of 21. O’Sullivan, 22, has enjoyed early success in the major leagues, most recently holding the Yankees to two hits over six innings Tuesday in a 10-2 victory. He’s likely to step right into the Kansas City starting rotation.
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 5
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)