Jul 22, 2010, 7:04 PM EDT
From Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star comes word that the Angels have acquired third baseman Alberto Callaspo from the Royals for righty Sean O’Sullivan and minor league left-hander Will Smith.
The Angels opened the season with Brandon Wood at third base and had high hopes for the 25-year-old, but he’s hit just .168/.185/.225 in 173 at-bats and the Halos have struggled to find an answer at the position.
As a whole, actually, third basemen in Anaheim have posted a combined batting average of .214 this season. That’s the worst combined batting average at any position, on any team, in the majors.
The 27-year-old Callaspo is a pretty solid defender and has batted .275/.308/.410 with eight homers and 43 RBI in 349 at-bats for the Royals. The Angels will hope that he can help the club climb closer to the Rangers, who currently hold a five-game lead in the American League West.
Of course, they had to unload some rather serious talent in the three-player swap. Smith is a fast-rising left-hander and has worked his way to Triple-A at the age of 21. O’Sullivan, 22, has enjoyed early success in the major leagues, most recently holding the Yankees to two hits over six innings Tuesday in a 10-2 victory. He’s likely to step right into the Kansas City starting rotation.
- Report: Mets “pushing very hard” for Carlos Gomez 0
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 36
- Dodgers-Marlins trade involving Mat Latos “being held up by paperwork” 56
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 62
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 47
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)