Jul 22, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
While the focus has understandably been on Roy Oswalt, his rotation-mate Brett Myers is another good starting pitcher likely to be targeted by contenders before the trade deadline.
Last night he tossed seven innings of one-run ball against the Cubs, marking the 20th time in 20 starts this season that Myers has logged at least six innings. In addition to the workload reliability he has a 3.24 ERA and 101/41 K/BB ratio in 136 innings overall and has just one fewer Quality Start than Oswalt.
While not really a fly-ball pitcher Myers has struggled at times to keep the ball in the ballpark, serving up an average of 31 homers per 200 innings during eight seasons with the Phillies. However, he’s been able to keep the long balls in check since joining the Astros as a free agent this offseason and has a 4.33 ERA in 203 career starts.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Astros are reluctant to trade Myers and “will need to be overwhelmed in order to move him” because they “hope that he could be a foundation for future rotations.” Which doesn’t really make sense, because he’ll be 30 years old next month and figures to choose free agency instead of the $8 million mutual option in his contract for 2011.
As a veteran who’s increased his value significantly since signing a team-friendly one-year contract this offseason Myers is exactly the type of player the Astros should be looking to cash in for prospects that can actually be part of the long-term plans and Rosenthal notes that he’s “attracted interest from multiple clubs.”
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)