Jul 22, 2010, 5:12 PM EDT
The smart thinking is that the A’s signed Ben Sheets with the idea of flipping him for prospects in the fairly likely event that they failed to catch lightning in a bottle and challenged for the division. Those plans aren’t exactly working, however.
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Athletics are now thinking they’ll just hold on to Sheets. That may be because Buster Oleny reports that other teams are worried about his decrease in velocity and don’t see him as anything close to a sure thing. Oh, and Jayson Stark says that suitors — as the Phillies were reported to be yesterday — want the A’s to pick up salary, which sort of defeats the whole purpose from their perspective.
So in the words of my favorite musician: Clouds so swift/Rain won’t lift/Gate won’t close/Railings froze/Get your mind off wintertime/You ain’t goin’ nowhere, Ben Sheets.
Well, Dylan didn’t include the “Ben Sheets” part.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)