Jul 22, 2010, 5:12 PM EDT
The smart thinking is that the A’s signed Ben Sheets with the idea of flipping him for prospects in the fairly likely event that they failed to catch lightning in a bottle and challenged for the division. Those plans aren’t exactly working, however.
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Athletics are now thinking they’ll just hold on to Sheets. That may be because Buster Oleny reports that other teams are worried about his decrease in velocity and don’t see him as anything close to a sure thing. Oh, and Jayson Stark says that suitors — as the Phillies were reported to be yesterday — want the A’s to pick up salary, which sort of defeats the whole purpose from their perspective.
So in the words of my favorite musician: Clouds so swift/Rain won’t lift/Gate won’t close/Railings froze/Get your mind off wintertime/You ain’t goin’ nowhere, Ben Sheets.
Well, Dylan didn’t include the “Ben Sheets” part.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 53
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)