Jul 22, 2010, 5:12 PM EDT
The smart thinking is that the A’s signed Ben Sheets with the idea of flipping him for prospects in the fairly likely event that they failed to catch lightning in a bottle and challenged for the division. Those plans aren’t exactly working, however.
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Athletics are now thinking they’ll just hold on to Sheets. That may be because Buster Oleny reports that other teams are worried about his decrease in velocity and don’t see him as anything close to a sure thing. Oh, and Jayson Stark says that suitors — as the Phillies were reported to be yesterday — want the A’s to pick up salary, which sort of defeats the whole purpose from their perspective.
So in the words of my favorite musician: Clouds so swift/Rain won’t lift/Gate won’t close/Railings froze/Get your mind off wintertime/You ain’t goin’ nowhere, Ben Sheets.
Well, Dylan didn’t include the “Ben Sheets” part.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)