Carl Crawford is friggin' nuts

Jul 22, 2010, 11:10 AM EDT

Personally, I'd wear a cup. But then again, I'm not Carl Crawford.

First Adrian Belte, now Carl Crawford. I don’t understand ballplayers sometimes:

. . . even after seeing how bad it looked, and knowing how incredibly horrible it felt, when he was struck, well, there, by
an errant pickoff throw in Tuesday’s game against the Orioles, Crawford
insisted he has no plans to start wearing a protective cup when he
returns to the field, possibly Friday in Cleveland.

“I’m just not
going to wear a cup,” Crawford said. “I just don’t think that’s going to
happen again. It never happened in eight years, so I’m not going to
worry about letting that one little incident make me change the way I do
things. … If it happens again, then it just happens again.”

Hey, they’re his jewels so if he wants to gamble with them, more power to him.  And really, maybe there is a certain kind of genius logic to all of this.

1. bbeer - Jul 22, 2010 at 11:18 AM

That’s what happened to me and I didn’t start to wear cups. Then again I was in high school and not from a major league baseball pitcher. Took a grounder right at second. Wasn’t no fun.

2. ThatGuy - Jul 22, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I think its fairly nuts(pun intended) to not wear a cup as an infielder like Adrian Beltre, but i think Crawfords risk as an outfielder is minimal. So it happened one time in his career(probably dating back to little league), It likely wont happen again.

3. CJ - Jul 22, 2010 at 11:31 AM

“Carl Crawford is friggin’ nuts”
    …lucky he still has ‘em is more like it.

4. nps6724 - Jul 22, 2010 at 11:47 AM

I played OF from tee ball to HS ball and now play OF in several men’s softball leagues. So that’s 17 or so years of playing OF at various levels (obviously nowhere near them minors or majors) and I’ve never worn a cup. Outfielders don’t field balls like infielders do (basically spread eagle most of the time) so they’re far less vulnerable to a cup-check. And a cup limits your mobility when trying to run and make quick movements, which is key for outfielders.

And really, how likely is he to get hit in the boys on a pickoff attempts AGAIN? Baserunners rarely even get hit anywhere by pickoffs, let alone below the belt.

5. JBerardi - Jul 22, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Meh. Compression shorts are really all you need.

6. BC - Jul 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Ow. Mommy.

7. Al - Jul 22, 2010 at 12:20 PM

You have nothing better to write about than if Carl Crawford is or is not going to wear a cup? I kind of wonder what kind of so called writer you became if your worried about Carl’s jewels? So sad!

8. Craig Calcaterra - Jul 22, 2010 at 12:32 PM

“You have nothing better to write about than if Carl Crawford is or is not going to wear a cup?”
    Well, no, not really. Got any tips?

9. aleskel - Jul 22, 2010 at 12:39 PM

All the Rays need to work some sense into Crawford is to sign one of Jim Bouton’s teammates from the 1969 Pilots.
    “Cup check!”

10. Benny Blanco - Jul 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM

An outfielder not wearing a cup is not the same as an infielder not wearing one. Outfielders rarely deal with a smoked grounder that can take a bad hop. What happened to Crawford is a freak accident.
    Beltre playing the hot corner deciding not to wear a cup is insanity.

11. G2 - Jul 22, 2010 at 2:21 PM

a dad is about a million times more likely to get hit in his nuts by his toddler than an outfielder is to get hit in the nuts by a baseball. But for some reason I’m not wearing a cup and it doesn’t seem ridiculous.

12. HP3 - Jul 22, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I was playing Connie Mack league many years ago and our left fielder fouled a ball straight into the groin. Ambulance, hospital, lying on the couch with his legs raised for a week and gingerly limping to the bathroom for awhile. If guys wear shin guards to bat, doesn’t the Nutty Buddy make sense? What is that great baseball line?
    “It only takes one.”

13. Utley's hair - Jul 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM

“I kind of wonder what kind of so called writer you became if your worried about Carl’s jewels?”

Apparently, he’s a better one than you are.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3245)