Jul 22, 2010, 10:44 AM EST
Kevin Kernan of the New York Post has a lengthy column today entitled “Manuel’s job in jeopardy” and says “this looks to be the point of no return” for Jerry Manuel as Mets manager. Here’s more:
The other day in San Francisco at AT&T Park the interview area for manager Jerry Manuel was moved to around the corner from the clubhouse. When Manuel emerged from the clubhouse and saw that his usual spot near the door had been relocated down the hallway, he said jokingly that “the street” would be the next stop for him. That day could be just around the corner for Manuel.
Manuel being on the hot seat is nothing new and in fact has been true for much of the past two years, although when the Mets were playing really well about a month ago he started to get praise for their success.
For instance, just 30 days ago Jon Heyman of SI.com wrote: “Time to give Jerry Manuel an extension. He fostered positive vibe around Mets.”
Manuel and the Mets have gone 9-16 since Heyman wrote that. Apparently the “positive vibe” vanished when the winning stopped. What a weird coincidence, right?
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)