Jul 22, 2010, 10:44 AM EDT
Kevin Kernan of the New York Post has a lengthy column today entitled “Manuel’s job in jeopardy” and says “this looks to be the point of no return” for Jerry Manuel as Mets manager. Here’s more:
The other day in San Francisco at AT&T Park the interview area for manager Jerry Manuel was moved to around the corner from the clubhouse. When Manuel emerged from the clubhouse and saw that his usual spot near the door had been relocated down the hallway, he said jokingly that “the street” would be the next stop for him. That day could be just around the corner for Manuel.
Manuel being on the hot seat is nothing new and in fact has been true for much of the past two years, although when the Mets were playing really well about a month ago he started to get praise for their success.
For instance, just 30 days ago Jon Heyman of SI.com wrote: “Time to give Jerry Manuel an extension. He fostered positive vibe around Mets.”
Manuel and the Mets have gone 9-16 since Heyman wrote that. Apparently the “positive vibe” vanished when the winning stopped. What a weird coincidence, right?
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (246)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (147)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)