Jul 22, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Stephen Strasburg beat the Reds last night to improve to 5-2 with a 2.32 ERA in nine starts and Byron Kerr of MASNSports.com notes that the 22-year-old rookie also fired back at some of the hecklers in Cincinnati as he walked off the mound:
All you need to know about the fire of the competitor that is Strasburg occurred when he was taken out of the game in the sixth. With the Nats up 7-3, a Reds fan behind the visitor’s dugout was giving it to Strasburg.
As he walked down the stairs to the dugout to high fives from his teammates, Strasburg yelled back “Scoreboard! Scoreboard!” and pointed to the video jumbo screen in left field that showed the Washington lead. Willie Harris said it pumped him up to hear Strasburg get after the fan and said “Let ‘em have it, Stras!”
Early on there were some rumblings about Strasburg being too low key, so Nationals fans are probably glad to see him show a little personality even if “scoreboard!” isn’t exactly the most original comeback to taunts.
Oh, and in addition to the sparkling 2.32 ERA he also has a 75/15 K/BB ratio and .216 opponents’ batting average in 54.1 innings and has yet to allow more than three runs in a start.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)