Jul 22, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Stephen Strasburg beat the Reds last night to improve to 5-2 with a 2.32 ERA in nine starts and Byron Kerr of MASNSports.com notes that the 22-year-old rookie also fired back at some of the hecklers in Cincinnati as he walked off the mound:
All you need to know about the fire of the competitor that is Strasburg occurred when he was taken out of the game in the sixth. With the Nats up 7-3, a Reds fan behind the visitor’s dugout was giving it to Strasburg.
As he walked down the stairs to the dugout to high fives from his teammates, Strasburg yelled back “Scoreboard! Scoreboard!” and pointed to the video jumbo screen in left field that showed the Washington lead. Willie Harris said it pumped him up to hear Strasburg get after the fan and said “Let ‘em have it, Stras!”
Early on there were some rumblings about Strasburg being too low key, so Nationals fans are probably glad to see him show a little personality even if “scoreboard!” isn’t exactly the most original comeback to taunts.
Oh, and in addition to the sparkling 2.32 ERA he also has a 75/15 K/BB ratio and .216 opponents’ batting average in 54.1 innings and has yet to allow more than three runs in a start.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 11
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 204
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (202)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)