Jul 22, 2010, 11:45 AM EST
Stephen Strasburg beat the Reds last night to improve to 5-2 with a 2.32 ERA in nine starts and Byron Kerr of MASNSports.com notes that the 22-year-old rookie also fired back at some of the hecklers in Cincinnati as he walked off the mound:
All you need to know about the fire of the competitor that is Strasburg occurred when he was taken out of the game in the sixth. With the Nats up 7-3, a Reds fan behind the visitor’s dugout was giving it to Strasburg.
As he walked down the stairs to the dugout to high fives from his teammates, Strasburg yelled back “Scoreboard! Scoreboard!” and pointed to the video jumbo screen in left field that showed the Washington lead. Willie Harris said it pumped him up to hear Strasburg get after the fan and said “Let ‘em have it, Stras!”
Early on there were some rumblings about Strasburg being too low key, so Nationals fans are probably glad to see him show a little personality even if “scoreboard!” isn’t exactly the most original comeback to taunts.
Oh, and in addition to the sparkling 2.32 ERA he also has a 75/15 K/BB ratio and .216 opponents’ batting average in 54.1 innings and has yet to allow more than three runs in a start.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)