The Mets are close to shipping Jeff Francoeur off in a trade

Jul 22, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT

Mike Puma of the New York Post reports this morning that the Mets are trying to trade Jeff Francoeur and that they may have a deal done by this weekend.

There are no indications as to who may be interested in Francoeur, who was recently shuttled to the bench when Carlos Beltran came back from the DL.  Francoeur currently makes $5 million and is arbitration eligible following this season, though he’s a pretty obvious non-tender candidate.  His value at this point is likely limited to being a bat off the bench against lefties and a defensive replacement.

1. Philip P - Jul 22, 2010 at 9:11 AM

With my bloody luck he’ll be sent to the Dodgers since they are short of outfielders at the moment!

2. Simon DelMonte - Jul 22, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I wish him the best of luck. He brought a lot to the Mets’ clubhouse and to its outfield, if not to the plate. I like him and hope somewhere out there is a hitting coach who can teach him how to take pitches.
    Will add that right now, I think the Mets are trading a good defensive player too soon. Beltran is wearing a contraption that reminds me of the one Captain Hook wore in the recent Peter Pan film. But if they can get prospects, it makes sense since the ship has otherwise sunk.

3. nps6724 - Jul 22, 2010 at 9:13 AM

As a Brave fan I like seeing him hurt the Mets after those years of hurting Atlanta.

4. King Ding-A-Ling - Jul 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM

He has a good throwing arm, good defensive outfielder…
    I’m not sure about his value as a pinch hitter though, he couldn’t hit sand if he fell off a camel.

5. jim - Jul 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM

i think that the team is goin in the wrong way on just tradeing francoeur they need to get rid of that useless Luis Castillo and trade him and keep tejada up there to play 2nd base. in all the games that tejada had played at 2nd base he only had 1 earror and castillo came back and he had 2 earrors in the 1st inning he played. get rid of Luis Castillo and Oliver PĂ©rez and get someone that likes to play baseball.

6. Mason - Jul 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM

If nothing else, maybe Craig could use a personal assistant to fetch his coffee and donuts, maybe fan him with a palm frond while he feverishly cranks out post after post, and iron his suit coat for the video spots (coat only – we know he’s not wearing pants).

7. YankeesfanLen - Jul 22, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Sorry you’re not feeling well today, Craig. Or are you leaving all the snide comments for us? BTW, Frenchy has a great endorsement deal going in NY> It’s for a no-name discount cell phone service where he carries on about the high cost of living in the city- rent, transportation, even dog-walking costs more here than Atlanta so he recommends a $10/mo plan. I hear it’s pretty cheap to live in Pittsburgh. And as the old song goes there’s a pawn shop on the corner, so maybe he can hock some of his memoribilia.

8. BC - Jul 22, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Unsure how much $ he’s making… Would be a good defensive replacement. Also know Boston is looking to pick up an OF. Maybe my Mets get something serviceable back for him…

9. BC - Jul 22, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Aw, heck…. I missed the $5 million reference in the article. So…. for a higher payroll team, he’s probably a good option as a 4th outfielder / defensive replacement. Maybe Boston WILL come knocking.

10. aleskel - Jul 22, 2010 at 11:05 AM

you know, the Yankees could use a rightie off the bench, especially in the outfield to spell Granderson/Gardner … he would fit in well in the clubhouse, Girardi would like him …
    Oh, dear lord, am I actually talking myself into wanting Jeff Francouer on my team? This is so wrong.

11. nps6724 - Jul 22, 2010 at 11:11 AM

To those calling him a good defender, he’s not. He WAS from 2005-2007, mostly from his arm but he also had range back before he tried to bulk up. Since 2008, he’s been average-to-below average with terrible range and his only saving grace the cannon strapped to his right shoulder.

12. The Rabbit - Jul 22, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I’m assuming there are no snide remarks because he’s no longer stinking up the Braves outfield and because “he took it like a man” (whatever that means) when told he was being relegated to the bench in NY.
    I am, however, having difficulty deciding what team could really use him, though. To put it kindly, he’s not much of a hitter from the bench and most teams have options for late inning defense.

13. YankeesfanLen - Jul 22, 2010 at 1:08 PM

You have absolutely got to be kiddin’ me. Universe has all the call-up OFs they need (sorry you missed yesterday’s game) that can be used off the bench, and Swisholicious is not doing too bad either. A smile and a shoeshine doesn’t do a thing for me.

14. Sweepthleg - Jul 22, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Aw… I remember Frenchie’s SI cover from that summer when he first got to the major..”The Natural”… it all fell so fast after that…

15. notthesicko - Jul 22, 2010 at 2:32 PM

It’s gotta be the Royals. Dayton Moore loves has been Braves prospects.

Three legends off to Cooperstown