Jul 22, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Mike Puma of the New York Post reports this morning that the Mets are trying to trade Jeff Francoeur and that they may have a deal done by this weekend.
There are no indications as to who may be interested in Francoeur, who was recently shuttled to the bench when Carlos Beltran came back from the DL. Francoeur currently makes $5 million and is arbitration eligible following this season, though he’s a pretty obvious non-tender candidate. His value at this point is likely limited to being a bat off the bench against lefties and a defensive replacement.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 88
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 15
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 35
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (188)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)