Jul 22, 2010, 2:12 PM EDT
This was supposed to be a lame duck year for Dusty Baker — and it still technically is — but given how well the Reds have done this season it was inevitable that at some point the Reds and Dusty would have to talk about a contract extension. That time will be early August, reports the Cincy Enquirer.
Baker says that he doesn’t want to be a distraction, but also said “I didn’t come here to leave,” and that “You’ve got to agree we’ve made progress.”
Tough spot for the Reds. Dusty does not come cheap and there really was a sense that they expected him to simply manage out his contract and walk. But dadgummit, winning complicates things sometimes.
*Note: No matter where Dusty ends up, be it the Reds, in a broadcast booth or managing another team, I will probably always use this pic in stories about him because it’s friggin’ awesome. Based on it alone I’d consider penciling him in as my starting right fielder, wouldn’t you?
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)