Jul 22, 2010, 2:12 PM EDT
This was supposed to be a lame duck year for Dusty Baker — and it still technically is — but given how well the Reds have done this season it was inevitable that at some point the Reds and Dusty would have to talk about a contract extension. That time will be early August, reports the Cincy Enquirer.
Baker says that he doesn’t want to be a distraction, but also said “I didn’t come here to leave,” and that “You’ve got to agree we’ve made progress.”
Tough spot for the Reds. Dusty does not come cheap and there really was a sense that they expected him to simply manage out his contract and walk. But dadgummit, winning complicates things sometimes.
*Note: No matter where Dusty ends up, be it the Reds, in a broadcast booth or managing another team, I will probably always use this pic in stories about him because it’s friggin’ awesome. Based on it alone I’d consider penciling him in as my starting right fielder, wouldn’t you?
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)