Jul 22, 2010, 2:12 PM EST
This was supposed to be a lame duck year for Dusty Baker — and it still technically is — but given how well the Reds have done this season it was inevitable that at some point the Reds and Dusty would have to talk about a contract extension. That time will be early August, reports the Cincy Enquirer.
Baker says that he doesn’t want to be a distraction, but also said “I didn’t come here to leave,” and that “You’ve got to agree we’ve made progress.”
Tough spot for the Reds. Dusty does not come cheap and there really was a sense that they expected him to simply manage out his contract and walk. But dadgummit, winning complicates things sometimes.
*Note: No matter where Dusty ends up, be it the Reds, in a broadcast booth or managing another team, I will probably always use this pic in stories about him because it’s friggin’ awesome. Based on it alone I’d consider penciling him in as my starting right fielder, wouldn’t you?
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)