A-Rod is about to hit his 600th home run. Do you care?

Jul 23, 2010, 10:22 AM EDT

There's a lack of hype around A-Rod's 600th dinger. Is it because it's A-Rod doing it, or are we simply bored with home runs?

Alex Rodriguez hit his 599th career home run last night, and given that he’s facing Royals pitchers this weekend, I wouldn’t bet against him knocking number 600 before Monday rolls around.

There’s some growing excitement about this in the last 24 hours or so, but it has certainly been muted. I’ve heard more beefing from Yankees’ fans about Joba Chamberlain than I have about A-Rod’s impending milestone.  The tabloids are way more pumped about claiming Jerry Manuel’s scalp than they are in celebrating the feat.

Which is not surprising, because it’s A-Rod, and no one really much cares for him.  I get that. And between his general lack of popularity and the PED associations, I understand why people may be giving Rodriguez’s impending milestone less hype than we might have expected.

But I think something else is going on here, and it’s way more benign: 600 homers simply isn’t anything we haven’t seen before.  Three guys — Ken Griffey, Jr., Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds — did it in the past few years.  That certainly makes the event less special.  And you can’t just say it’s because two of them are known PED users.  Griffey has never had such associations, and the hype surrounding his reaching 600 was not particularly monumental either. Six guys doing something in the history of the game is still among the rarest accomplishments you’ll see, but given that we’ve all seen it happen recently it seems less special.

So it could simply be a matter of no one caring that A-Rod is going to hit his 600th home run.  I think, though, that no one would care all that much no matter who it was.

1. Holmgrenheroes22 - Jul 23, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I absolutely do were not talking about long ball Barry were talking about a complete 5 tool ball player who may be the best of all time.

2. Eternal Optimist - Jul 23, 2010 at 4:18 PM

. . . best answer in the bunch. Well done!

3. Eternal Optimist - Jul 23, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I don’t care about A-Rod and 600. I know that I am in the minority, but the use of PED’s turns me off. I think that the guy is really talented, but I would have worshipped him even if he only had 400 homers at this stage. I just want to watch baseball. An occasional home run is OK. I don’t need to see one launched every 3rd at bat.

4. walk - Jul 23, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I recognised more pitchers from the mitchell report than i did hitters. Just something to consider as you mull over the 600 hr mark.

5. RichardInBigD - Jul 23, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I’m with you, walk. I enjoy a good pitcher’s duel immesurably more than a slugfest. Home runs are the result of mistakes. A quality pitch will rarely find it’s way to the wrong side of the fence. It requires a gaffe on the pitcher’s part for that to happen.

6. bh0673 - Jul 24, 2010 at 8:21 AM

As long as Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa are on that list then it matters, regardless of PED’s or not 600 homers is still a great feat.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3311)