Jul 23, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
Carl Pavano became a punchline during his time in New York because of injuries and an overall lack of durability, but he’s healthy now and has been one of the league’s biggest workhorses this season.
Pavano shut out the Orioles last night for his second straight complete game and fourth complete game in his last seven starts, improving to 12-6 with a 3.26 ERA in 20 starts this season.
He now ranks second in the league with five complete games and third in the league with 143.2 innings, which is just two fewer frames than he threw during his entire four-year stint with the Yankees.
Minnesota acquired Pavano from Cleveland last August for a mid-level prospect named Yohan Pino and then re-signed him to a one-year deal this offseason. He’s now made 32 total starts for the Twins, which is basically one full season’s worth of action, and is 17-10 with a 3.73 ERA and 140/35 K/BB ratio in 217.1 innings.
Since the trade Roy Halladay, Felix Hernandez, Adam Wainwright, and CC Sabathia are the only pitchers in baseball to log more innings than Pavano.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 1
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)