Jul 23, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
Ben Bolch of the Los Angeles Times described Angels general manager Tony Reagins as “defiant” when asked if yesterday’s trade for Alberto Callaspo will equal less of an opportunity for Brandon Wood.
It doesn’t affect Brandon’s future in any way. It doesn’t. We’re not thinking down that path right now. We’re not going to make any decisions and give up on Brandon Wood. He’s been a part of this organization and he’s a good player. Hopefully, we can get him going in the right direction.
Even before the trade Wood had started just seven of the past 22 games and barring an injury or another trade there’s just no place for him in the Angels’ lineup. And as Bolch points out, Callaspo is 27 years old and under the Angels’ control through 2013, while Maicer Izturis is signed through 2012.
I’ve been critical of the Angels in the past because they avoided giving Wood an extended opportunity to play every day, but at this point even his short stints of sporadic starts add up to 420 career plate appearances and he’s simply been dreadful, hitting .181 with a .206 on-base percentage, .275 slugging percentage, and ghastly 126/11 K/BB ratio.
At this point a fresh start for Wood would probably be best for everyone involved, although the longtime top prospect’s stock has plummeted to the point that the Angels probably couldn’t even get any significant value for him in a trade.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)