Diamondbacks sound like a team planning to trade Dan Haren

Jul 23, 2010, 10:42 AM EDT

Most of the reports surrounding Dan Haren’s availability have focused on the Diamondbacks’ public stance that they’ll only trade the ace right-hander if they get an “A-plus deal” in return.

That’s a smart approach for them to take because Haren is a) one of the more underrated No. 1 starters in baseball, b) signed for reasonable money through 2013, c) and under 30 years old.

However, what struck me most about team officials stressing what type of top-notch haul they’d need in return for Haren is that the mere act of speaking publicly about such things sure makes it seem like they’re planning to trade him.

For instance, here’s what Diamondbacks chief executive officer Derrick Hall said yesterday:

It would need to be, in our opinion, an A-plus deal. I think ideally what we would ask for is major league-ready pitching, be it starters and/or bullpen and prospects. Volume doesn’t matter, it doesn’t need to be four, five or six guys, it’s really about the quality.

As I’ve said before, if a deal can’t get done for Haren and he’s on our team next year, I’m fine with that. If we can get three or four pieces that can bring value now and are also controllable for a number of years, then we’d have to consider it. If we bring in the right pieces and explain ourselves, fans will understand that it was a move to improve our team now.

To me, a quote like “if a deal can’t get done for Haren and he’s on our team next year, I’m fine with that” sure sounds like a team all but convinced he’ll be traded. If nothing else, it’s a major shift in tone from the team’s public stance on Haren just a couple weeks ago. I’d guess the Diamondbacks have more or less decided to deal Haren and recently made that clear to other teams, which is why just about every contender is suddenly being linked to him.

Haren has a partial no-trade clause that allows him to block a move to 12 teams and has previously said he’d like to remain in Arizona, but according to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com “he would be open-minded about a possible deal.” He’s scheduled to start Tuesday against the Phillies and I’d bet on it being his final start in a Diamondbacks uniform.

1. BC - Jul 23, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Joba Chamberlain would look good in a D-Backs uniform, don’t you agree, Yankees fans? Add Montero to the trade, throw in another mid-range prospect, and I bet you could get Haren. Perfect fit and solves the issue you’ll have when Pettitte retires after this year (likely).

2. Utley's hair - Jul 23, 2010 at 11:36 AM

“He’s scheduled to start Tuesday against the Phillies and I’d bet on it being his final start in a Diamondbacks uniform.”

Or possibly his first in red pinstripes.

3. YankeesfanLen - Jul 23, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Actually, I do agree on all points. Have not heard enough good about Montero’s ability as a catcher to convince me he is heir apparent to Posada, although the batting prospect part looks good. Pretty sure Andy will be back in ’11, but would love to lose the FAT TOAD.

4. screaminzab - Jul 23, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Would the D-backs want Montero when they have a 27 year old catcher by the same name they are pretty high on? I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, but it may not be realistic.

5. Pisano - Jul 23, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I only pray to God the Diamondbacks read your post and call the Yanks with that proposition . It makes so much sense it’s scary . I say get rid of the Toad ASAP !!!!!

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3703)