Jul 23, 2010, 8:01 PM EDT
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times has a little bit of an update on Erik Bedard, and like most news with Bedard lately, it doesn’t sound particularly good.
Bedard, who underwent an MRI earlier this week and consulted with surgeon Dr. Lewis Yocum and team medical director Dr. Edward Khalfayan, is scheduled to fly to New York next week in order to get a third opinion on his sore left shoulder.
The 31-year-old left-hander was all set to make his return from the disabled list earlier this month, however he was scratched at the last minute after it was revealed that he suffered a setback. Bedard, who underwent season-ending surgery last August, hasn’t appeared in a major league game since last July 25.
Between today’s news and Bedard telling reporters earlier this week that he is “probably not” going to pitch again this season, it would be no surprise to learn that there is yet another surgery in his future.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)