Jul 23, 2010, 8:01 PM EST
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times has a little bit of an update on Erik Bedard, and like most news with Bedard lately, it doesn’t sound particularly good.
Bedard, who underwent an MRI earlier this week and consulted with surgeon Dr. Lewis Yocum and team medical director Dr. Edward Khalfayan, is scheduled to fly to New York next week in order to get a third opinion on his sore left shoulder.
The 31-year-old left-hander was all set to make his return from the disabled list earlier this month, however he was scratched at the last minute after it was revealed that he suffered a setback. Bedard, who underwent season-ending surgery last August, hasn’t appeared in a major league game since last July 25.
Between today’s news and Bedard telling reporters earlier this week that he is “probably not” going to pitch again this season, it would be no surprise to learn that there is yet another surgery in his future.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)