Jul 23, 2010, 8:01 PM EDT
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times has a little bit of an update on Erik Bedard, and like most news with Bedard lately, it doesn’t sound particularly good.
Bedard, who underwent an MRI earlier this week and consulted with surgeon Dr. Lewis Yocum and team medical director Dr. Edward Khalfayan, is scheduled to fly to New York next week in order to get a third opinion on his sore left shoulder.
The 31-year-old left-hander was all set to make his return from the disabled list earlier this month, however he was scratched at the last minute after it was revealed that he suffered a setback. Bedard, who underwent season-ending surgery last August, hasn’t appeared in a major league game since last July 25.
Between today’s news and Bedard telling reporters earlier this week that he is “probably not” going to pitch again this season, it would be no surprise to learn that there is yet another surgery in his future.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead