Jul 23, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
Responding to recent articles suggesting Jerry Manuel is on the hot seat, general manager Omar Minaya gave the Mets’ manager a vote of confidence yesterday:
He’s our manager and I see him being our manager.
Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com called that “an unequivocal vote of confidence” as opposed to the usual “dreaded vote of confidence,” but either way the wording of that quote seems sort of odd to me.
Of course, John Harper of the New York Daily News points out that Minaya may not have any more job security than Manuel and how much good is an oddly worded vote of confidence from a guy who might also be fired at any moment?
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69