Jul 23, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
Responding to recent articles suggesting Jerry Manuel is on the hot seat, general manager Omar Minaya gave the Mets’ manager a vote of confidence yesterday:
He’s our manager and I see him being our manager.
Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com called that “an unequivocal vote of confidence” as opposed to the usual “dreaded vote of confidence,” but either way the wording of that quote seems sort of odd to me.
Of course, John Harper of the New York Daily News points out that Minaya may not have any more job security than Manuel and how much good is an oddly worded vote of confidence from a guy who might also be fired at any moment?
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 25
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 44
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)