Quote of the Day: "HGH is baseball's Shirley Sherrod"

Jul 23, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT

Warning: mixing PED talk with politics can be hazardous to your comments section.

Yahoo!’s Jeff Passan — no stinkin’ PED apologist like me — nails Bud Selig to the wall on the new minor-league HGH testing announced yesterday:

HGH is baseball’s Shirley Sherrod, the anti-doping clowns its Andrew Breitbart and Selig the Obama administration.

It’s a perfect analogy, really (background here if you’re unfamiliar). The World Anti-Doping Agency profits from scare-mongering about something that is really not a problem and Bud Selig is running scared, fearful of bad publicity.

1. BC - Jul 23, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Craig, I’m with you. Couldn’t be said any better.

2. Jonny5 - Jul 23, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Bad analogy. Breitbart fabricated a bad publicity video by editing content of a speech to meet his political whims. The dangers of abusing HGH are real and proven. Where as the above mentioned issue was fake and disproven.
    You know what it is. Anything mentioning that situation above gets all you Libbies aroused to the point it clouds your minds with a rush of endorphines.
    Breitbart is an idiot, and he should be condemned for his actions. The members of the Republican party would smart to stay away from this guy, but then again they aren’t smart enough to distance themselves from Lintball. Seriously, politics are so dividing these days with lemmings on both sides cheering for whatever is done by their “respective parties”. And also cheering for every mistake from the other side.

3. bbeer - Jul 23, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I’m with both of you guys on this one. It’s pretty unnecessary

4. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Jul 23, 2010 at 9:48 AM

“The dangers of abusing HGH are real and proven. Where as the above mentioned issue was fake and disproven. ”
    Is it really though? http://es.pn/bqFn63 (espn link, so SFW)
    quote from one of the doctors in the article:
    “There is no credible scientific evidence that growth hormone substantively increases muscle strength or aerobic exercise capacity in normal individuals,” said Dr. Thomas Perls, director of the New England Centenarian Study at the Boston University of Medicine.

5. Jonny5 - Jul 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM

“the DANGERS of abusing HGH are real and proven”
    You are referring to muscle growth and endurance. Yes, that isn’t proven, but will be I’m sure. What is proven is it can be dangerous when used improperly.

6. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Jul 23, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Has it though? I’m asking because generally the only information I can find, through casual looking, is that A, it has no beneficial effect in normal people, and B, they can’t find anyway to study longterm effects on the use of HGH.
    As for abusing it, aren’t almost all drugs dangerous with abuse? My brother in law is getting his PhD in chemistry and he mentioned the other day that aspirin would never be approved today due to all its side effects from use and abuse.

7. Levi Stahl - Jul 23, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Though I’m now normal height–short, but not unusually so–I was really short when I was a kid, and I remember my parents getting some sort of solicitation for me to participate in a trial of HGH. I remember, being eight years old, that that sounded awesome–I could be taller!–but they, sensibly, thought it sounded like a very bad idea and that I’d probably be just fine without it. Though god knows, I didn’t make the majors.

8. Jonny5 - Jul 23, 2010 at 10:43 AM

It has no beneficial effect yet athletes are willing to jepordize their career by using it? I don’t think so. And the use of this does effect the liver and other hormone producing organs in a negative way, but since it’s hard to study it’s longterm effects you can’t acknowledge it? Would you want your son or daughter on HGH if it was not 100% necissary ?

9. Mr. Heyward - Jul 23, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Does this mean Selig will offer HGH it’s rightful job back in baseball players’ ass cheeks?

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2955)