Jul 23, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
The no-trade clause has been a big factor in conversations about Roy Oswalt and Dan Haren, but Ted Lilly has some veto power too: Jon Paul Morosi reports that Lilly can block a trade to the Rays, but not to the Tigers or Mets, who are also looking for starting pitching.
Some day I’d love to see a big story about no-trade clauses, especially limited ones, and hear players talk about why they chose certain teams and not others. Sometimes they makes sense based on geography and stuff — Javier Vazquez famously wants to stay in the east because it’s an easier flight home to Puerto Rico — but others seem kind of random.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)