The Boss gets a mural at Yankee Stadium

Jul 23, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT

If I had to bet money, I would have bet that a 40’x13′ mural of George Steinbrenner put up a week after his death would have been a tad on the, I dunno, cult-of-personalityish side, maybe looking like some banner from a South American election rally or something.  It’s just so hard to have perspective after a big colorful figure like that dies, ya know?

I would have been wrong, though.  The big banner the Yankees have put up of the Boss is actually tasteful and, dare I say it, kind of classy.

1. Ditto65 - Jul 23, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Almost too classy – understating his personality and impact on the Empire.

2. YankeesfanLen - Jul 23, 2010 at 9:25 AM

For the first time, Craig, you really want me to give you hell. And I will.
    What do you think we’re running here? This is not a team that has multi-colored big nosed mascots running around, sausage races, disco demolition night, or any of those frivoloties that some lowly promotions director dreams up to potentially increase attendance by 500 fans on a Tuesday night.
    This is not Joeprosharksunlifemacondo Stadium (sorry, Gator) getting useless clutter for completely selling a teams identity
    This is not living off the shared revenues and trading everyone to line an owners pockets.
    This Is a team that’s exceptionally respectful of it’s heritage, a team with an Old Timer’s Day that pays homage to greats in it’s past, a team that has more World Championships than any other pro team in any sport.
    This is The New York Yankees..

3. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 23, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I think it is a great tribute, but why did they put it somewhere where the bottom 20% of it is being blocked by fans in the seats? You can’t really even read the words “THE BOSS”. The Phillies put their HK tribute out on the left field wall…I’m not familiar with the Yankees new stadium…I assume there wasn’t room with the advertising to put a tribute to the boss somewhere else in the stadium?

4. Ditto65 - Jul 23, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I agree with what you say, but George was much more than the man in the shadows that the mural purports him to have been. My opinion, of course.

5. Drew - Jul 23, 2010 at 9:40 AM

But, those Communists still haven’t given one to Joe Torre!-Tim McCarver

6. Ditto65 - Jul 23, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Dumb Crackers!

7. DGL - Jul 23, 2010 at 10:36 AM

The Steinbrenner banner is covering up a picture of Joe Torre.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3293)