Jul 23, 2010, 3:13 PM EDT
Heard from one source that the two major-league players St. Louis told Houston it would deal for Oswalt are John Jay and Brendan Ryan.
Jay is an interesting player if for no other reason than that he’s lit it up in limited play this season, but he is likely a fourth outfielder type at best based on what I’ve seen in various prospect reports over the past year or so (Cards fans can correct me if I’m way off here). Ryan? If he went to Houston it would be a benefit to the Cardinals, not a loss.
The talks are interesting, and of course, Roy Oswalt’s stated preference to go to the Cardinals matters, but really, if this is the current state of things between the Cards and the Astros, I have no idea how a deal gets done.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)