Jul 23, 2010, 3:13 PM EDT
Heard from one source that the two major-league players St. Louis told Houston it would deal for Oswalt are John Jay and Brendan Ryan.
Jay is an interesting player if for no other reason than that he’s lit it up in limited play this season, but he is likely a fourth outfielder type at best based on what I’ve seen in various prospect reports over the past year or so (Cards fans can correct me if I’m way off here). Ryan? If he went to Houston it would be a benefit to the Cardinals, not a loss.
The talks are interesting, and of course, Roy Oswalt’s stated preference to go to the Cardinals matters, but really, if this is the current state of things between the Cards and the Astros, I have no idea how a deal gets done.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)