Jul 23, 2010, 3:13 PM EDT
Heard from one source that the two major-league players St. Louis told Houston it would deal for Oswalt are John Jay and Brendan Ryan.
Jay is an interesting player if for no other reason than that he’s lit it up in limited play this season, but he is likely a fourth outfielder type at best based on what I’ve seen in various prospect reports over the past year or so (Cards fans can correct me if I’m way off here). Ryan? If he went to Houston it would be a benefit to the Cardinals, not a loss.
The talks are interesting, and of course, Roy Oswalt’s stated preference to go to the Cardinals matters, but really, if this is the current state of things between the Cards and the Astros, I have no idea how a deal gets done.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 0
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 61
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (157)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)