Jul 23, 2010, 9:34 AM EST
Andy Martino reports that the Mets have DFA’d reliever Fernando Nieve.
He’s been pretty terrible lately, so I get this, but how much of his terribleness is a function of Jerry Manuel criminally overworking him this season? Hell, in some ways getting DFA’d may be the best thing for him. If no trade partner can be found and if he refuses an assignment to the minors (assuming he can), he gets some much needed rest likely finds himself with a new club that won’t work him so damn hard next spring.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)