Jul 23, 2010, 9:34 AM EST
Andy Martino reports that the Mets have DFA’d reliever Fernando Nieve.
He’s been pretty terrible lately, so I get this, but how much of his terribleness is a function of Jerry Manuel criminally overworking him this season? Hell, in some ways getting DFA’d may be the best thing for him. If no trade partner can be found and if he refuses an assignment to the minors (assuming he can), he gets some much needed rest likely finds himself with a new club that won’t work him so damn hard next spring.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)