Jul 23, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
It’s crazy season, and when crazy season happens it actually helps for someone to throw a completely nuts rumor out there just to give us a nice break from actually thinking about deals. To make us laugh. To make us ponder the very ridiculousness of the trade deadline itself. Here’s the leader in the clubhouse for the most off-the-wall thing thrown out there thus far:
heard this: Rays “kicking the tires” of Royals pitcher Zach
Greinke…Would take a large ransom, but the Rays have pieces to do it
That’s from Tom Krasniqi of Bright House Sports Network down in Tampa. I guess how much credence you give that sort of thing has everything to do with what the definition of “kicking the tires” is.
Does that mean a couple of guys in the Rays’ front office said “man, it would be nice to have Greinke” while ordering their fourth beer at last night’s happy hour? Does it mean people actually think it could happen? If I called the Art Institute of Chicago and asked them to give me Edward Hopper’s “Nighthawks” in exchange for my picture my son did, am I “kicking the tires on ‘Nighthawks.'” I really have no idea.
All I do know is that while the Royals may very well trade for Jeff Francoeur because they just can’t help themselves, even they aren’t dumb enough to trade Zack Greinke.
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 8
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 89
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)