Jul 23, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
It’s crazy season, and when crazy season happens it actually helps for someone to throw a completely nuts rumor out there just to give us a nice break from actually thinking about deals. To make us laugh. To make us ponder the very ridiculousness of the trade deadline itself. Here’s the leader in the clubhouse for the most off-the-wall thing thrown out there thus far:
heard this: Rays “kicking the tires” of Royals pitcher Zach
Greinke…Would take a large ransom, but the Rays have pieces to do it
That’s from Tom Krasniqi of Bright House Sports Network down in Tampa. I guess how much credence you give that sort of thing has everything to do with what the definition of “kicking the tires” is.
Does that mean a couple of guys in the Rays’ front office said “man, it would be nice to have Greinke” while ordering their fourth beer at last night’s happy hour? Does it mean people actually think it could happen? If I called the Art Institute of Chicago and asked them to give me Edward Hopper’s “Nighthawks” in exchange for my picture my son did, am I “kicking the tires on ‘Nighthawks.'” I really have no idea.
All I do know is that while the Royals may very well trade for Jeff Francoeur because they just can’t help themselves, even they aren’t dumb enough to trade Zack Greinke.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)