Jul 23, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
It’s crazy season, and when crazy season happens it actually helps for someone to throw a completely nuts rumor out there just to give us a nice break from actually thinking about deals. To make us laugh. To make us ponder the very ridiculousness of the trade deadline itself. Here’s the leader in the clubhouse for the most off-the-wall thing thrown out there thus far:
heard this: Rays “kicking the tires” of Royals pitcher Zach
Greinke…Would take a large ransom, but the Rays have pieces to do it
That’s from Tom Krasniqi of Bright House Sports Network down in Tampa. I guess how much credence you give that sort of thing has everything to do with what the definition of “kicking the tires” is.
Does that mean a couple of guys in the Rays’ front office said “man, it would be nice to have Greinke” while ordering their fourth beer at last night’s happy hour? Does it mean people actually think it could happen? If I called the Art Institute of Chicago and asked them to give me Edward Hopper’s “Nighthawks” in exchange for my picture my son did, am I “kicking the tires on ‘Nighthawks.'” I really have no idea.
All I do know is that while the Royals may very well trade for Jeff Francoeur because they just can’t help themselves, even they aren’t dumb enough to trade Zack Greinke.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)