Jul 23, 2010, 4:12 PM EDT
Last night Ty Wigginton got into it with first base umpire Gary Darling
when Darling totally blew the call on a pickoff of J.J. Hardy. As you can see from the video, Wigginton got all up in Darling’s face, bumped chests, flailed arms and generally acted like a lunatic. I feel for the guy — he tagged Hardy twice by my estimation — but you just can’t get after the ump like that and not expect some discipline. He got it today: three game suspension and he’s going to be fined.
The Orioles say that Wigginton is going to appeal the suspension, so he’s good to play until then. Of course, Wigginton is on the trading block too, and I’m guessing that whoever gets him is going to want him available as soon as the deal is done. So, if Wigginton abruptly drops the suspension, I guess that’s a pretty good sign he’s about to get shipped off, no?
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (85)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (79)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (70)