Jul 23, 2010, 4:12 PM EDT
Last night Ty Wigginton got into it with first base umpire Gary Darling
when Darling totally blew the call on a pickoff of J.J. Hardy. As you can see from the video, Wigginton got all up in Darling’s face, bumped chests, flailed arms and generally acted like a lunatic. I feel for the guy — he tagged Hardy twice by my estimation — but you just can’t get after the ump like that and not expect some discipline. He got it today: three game suspension and he’s going to be fined.
The Orioles say that Wigginton is going to appeal the suspension, so he’s good to play until then. Of course, Wigginton is on the trading block too, and I’m guessing that whoever gets him is going to want him available as soon as the deal is done. So, if Wigginton abruptly drops the suspension, I guess that’s a pretty good sign he’s about to get shipped off, no?
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)