Jul 23, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
I have no idea what kind of baseball owner Mark Cuban would be, but if Tim Cowlishaw thinks he’d be a bad one, he had better bring stronger arguments than this to the table:
Cuban is a lightning rod. Those Mavericks fans who love him do so
unconditionally and pay little attention to the fact that the team is
not fundamentally better off than it was a decade ago when he purchased
it from Ross Perot Jr.
I’ll leave the hardcore basketball analysis of Cuban’s tenure as Mavericks owner to Kurt Helin over at PBT. But even this novice realizes that Cowlishaw is out to lunch here.
The Mavericks were a laughing stock for most of their history before Cuban came. They have been a playoff team for a decade since he came. Cuban may have made all manner of mistakes over that time that kept the Mavericks in the category of “really good team” and cost them a championship or two, but to suggest that the team is not “fundamentally better off” today than they were before Cuban bought them is ridiculous.
I don’t know if Mark Cuban has a chance in the August 4th auction for the Rangers. And I don’t know what his intentions would be with respect to the Rangers if he bought them. But why anyone expects that he’d be a disaster as an owner is a mystery to me.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 62
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 50
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)