Jul 23, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
I have no idea what kind of baseball owner Mark Cuban would be, but if Tim Cowlishaw thinks he’d be a bad one, he had better bring stronger arguments than this to the table:
Cuban is a lightning rod. Those Mavericks fans who love him do so
unconditionally and pay little attention to the fact that the team is
not fundamentally better off than it was a decade ago when he purchased
it from Ross Perot Jr.
I’ll leave the hardcore basketball analysis of Cuban’s tenure as Mavericks owner to Kurt Helin over at PBT. But even this novice realizes that Cowlishaw is out to lunch here.
The Mavericks were a laughing stock for most of their history before Cuban came. They have been a playoff team for a decade since he came. Cuban may have made all manner of mistakes over that time that kept the Mavericks in the category of “really good team” and cost them a championship or two, but to suggest that the team is not “fundamentally better off” today than they were before Cuban bought them is ridiculous.
I don’t know if Mark Cuban has a chance in the August 4th auction for the Rangers. And I don’t know what his intentions would be with respect to the Rangers if he bought them. But why anyone expects that he’d be a disaster as an owner is a mystery to me.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 9
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 64
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 70
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (278)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (147)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)