Jul 24, 2010, 6:03 PM EDT
Andy Pettitte, who went on the disabled list Monday with a groin strain, played catch for about five minutes from 60 feet on Saturday, according to the Associated Press.
Diagnosed with Grade 1 strain, the veteran left-hander isn’t expected to return until mid-to-late August, however he told reporters Saturday that he doesn’t think that timetable is realistic. In a good way.
“It doesn’t seem realistic to me at all, but I haven’t gotten on the
mound,” Pettitte said. “When I get on the mound, I’ll be able to say,
and hopefully I won’t have any setbacks.”
“I mean, I feel good,” Pettitte said. “I’m not having any problems at all.”
It’s not immediately clear when Pettitte will begin throwing off a mound, but he is scheduled to fly to Tampa on Monday to continue his rehab. The 37-year-old left-hander is eligible to return from the DL on August 2, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi said the team plans to take a cautious approach with Pettitte, as they don’t want this to be a recurring problem down the stretch.
Sergio Mitre, Pettitte’s temporary replacement in the rotation, gave up seven runs — five earned — over 4 1/3 innings in a loss to the Royals this afternoon.
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 26
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 100
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (100)