Jul 24, 2010, 2:10 PM EST
Here we go again. According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, Ben Sheets is headed to the disabled list after yet another injury to his right elbow.
Sheets told Slusser that his elbow has been “too swollen” over his past two or three starts. When asked if he is looking at missing the rest of the season, Sheets said, “I might be.”
Sheets missed the entire 2009 season after undergoing surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon in his right elbow. The Athletics signed the 32-year-old right-hander to a one-year, $10 million this winter in hopes of flipping him at the trade deadline. While Sheets hasn’t resembled his ace form of the past, posting a 4.53 ERA over 20 starts, he has went at least six innings in each of his last 14 starts.
It doesn’t matter now, though, as general managers around baseball can now look elsewhere.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (271)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)