Jul 24, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
Here we go again. According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, Ben Sheets is headed to the disabled list after yet another injury to his right elbow.
Sheets told Slusser that his elbow has been “too swollen” over his past two or three starts. When asked if he is looking at missing the rest of the season, Sheets said, “I might be.”
Sheets missed the entire 2009 season after undergoing surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon in his right elbow. The Athletics signed the 32-year-old right-hander to a one-year, $10 million this winter in hopes of flipping him at the trade deadline. While Sheets hasn’t resembled his ace form of the past, posting a 4.53 ERA over 20 starts, he has went at least six innings in each of his last 14 starts.
It doesn’t matter now, though, as general managers around baseball can now look elsewhere.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)