Jul 24, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
I’ll interrupt all this talk about the upcoming July 31 non-waiver trade deadline to bring you this moment of levity.
According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Gary Matthews Jr. has officially opted out of his contract with the Reds and is now a free agent.
Matthews, who signed a minor league contract with the Reds late last month, was hitting .317/.361/.495 with three home runs and six RBI over his first 101 at-bats with Triple-A Louisville. The Reds had until today to bring him up to the big leagues and chose not to do so.
According to what Matthews’ agent Scott Levanthal told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, his client will seek a major league contract.
“We’re not going to play Triple-A anywhere else,” Leventhal said. “He
has nothing left to prove. He’s a 10-year veteran that spent the last 30
days in Louisville and putting up good numbers.”
The 35-year-old outfielder batted .190/.266/.241 with three extra-base hits and one RBI in 58 at-bats before being released by the Mets on June 15 and has performed below replacement level since 2007. He might be waiting a while for his next gig.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 11
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 110
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 101
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)