Magglio has fractured ankle, out for next 6-8 weeks

Jul 24, 2010, 9:18 PM EDT

As first reported by Jeff Blair of the Toronto Globe and Mail, Tigers outfielder Magglio Ordonez has been diagnosed with a fractured right ankle and will miss the next 6-8 weeks. The 36-year-old had been battling...

The 36-year-old Ordonez had been battling ankle soreness for over a week, but he did major damage on Saturday when he was thrown out at the plate in the third inning.  It’s obviously a serious blow to the Tigers, who are chasing the White Sox in the American League Central while also trying to fight off a talented third-place Twins team.

Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski will almost certainly ramp up his efforts to find a middle-of-the-order bat and the deadline to make such a deal is July 31.

There’s another element to this story.  Ordonez signed a five-year, $75 million contract back in 2005 that included a hefty $15 million club option for 2011.  But that option is no longer guaranteed if he fails to reach 540 plate appearances this season, and it certainly appears that he won’t.  He’s sitting on 365 PAs right now.

1. Proudly Canadian - Jul 24, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Jeff Blair’s source may have been the Blue Jay’s broadcast team. They were certainly on top of the story. I reported this injury earlier in another thread based on the TV story. Personally, I do not care for Blair and hate to see him get credit when it probably isn’t deserved..

2. bbeer - Jul 25, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I had the same look on my face Mags does in the picture after I read that. I’m cheering for the tigers to win the division too so that does suck.

3. Knight-of-God - Jul 25, 2010 at 8:31 AM

They are gonna have to make a run for Weth or Dunn (or both).

4. Elaine12 - Jul 25, 2010 at 12:04 PM

! It’s hard to find a good men in my town ,most of them like my money more than like me. I just want to find my true love.so i uploaded my hot photos on~ H o t B l a c k w h i t e ℃0 M ~~under the name of Aliciajj.It’s the best club for seeking hot girls.if you men see this comment,i hope you will check my photos out there.maybe you are the one who
    i’m looking for
    @@@@@@@@@

5. YankeesfanLen - Jul 25, 2010 at 12:22 PM

This is helpful, but unfortunately I just wired all my money to a friend who was mistakenly arrested in Paris. Don’t know why I had to send it to Nigeria, though.

Orioles turn AL East on its head