Jul 24, 2010, 8:44 PM EDT
Rays fans have been pushing for the club to promote top pitching prospect Jeremy Hellickson since early May, but fifth starter Wade Davis, 24, has looked better as of late and it’s been hard for manager Joe Maddon and Co. to find a fit for the highly touted 23-year-old. That could change in a few weeks.
According to Bill Chastain of MLB.com, the Rays may call up Hellickson and use him as a reliever as they push for a spot in the playoffs later this season.
“Out of the bullpen, that’s a possibility, and I would not be opposed to
that at all,” Maddon said Saturday. “But eventually he’s going to be one of the starters, there
is no doubt. To get a taste, I think he could do it, and it would serve
him well, and us.”
David Price took a similar path to the majors, as did Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright. And Hellickson may be just as talented as those current Cy Young contenders. Through 19 starts this season at Triple-A Durham, he has posted an 11-3 record, a 2.56 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP. He also has a 110/31 K/BB ratio in 109 innings.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)