Jul 24, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, the Diamondbacks are asking the Tigers for top pitching prospects Andy Oliver and Jacob Turner in exchange for Dan Haren.
Oliver just recently posted a 7.36 ERA over his first five starts in the big leagues, but the 22-year-old left-hander is 6-4 with a 3.61 ERA and 1.28 WHIP over 14 starts with Double-A Erie. He was the team’s second-round pick in 2009 and was ranked as the organization’s No. 4 prospect by Baseball America over the winter.
Turner is even more highly-touted. Last year’s first-round draft pick, the 19-year-old right-hander is 3-4 with a 4.14 ERA over his first 16 professional outings between Single-A West Michigan and High-A Lakeland. He was ranked as the organization’s No. 1 prospect by Baseball America before the season and was included in BA’s midseason Top 50 prospects earlier this month.
There’s no way the Tigers would actually do this, nor are we sure if the Diamondbacks were willing to pay some of the $33 million left on Haren’s contract as part of the proposal.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)