Jul 24, 2010, 2:47 PM EST
According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, the Diamondbacks are asking the Tigers for top pitching prospects Andy Oliver and Jacob Turner in exchange for Dan Haren.
Oliver just recently posted a 7.36 ERA over his first five starts in the big leagues, but the 22-year-old left-hander is 6-4 with a 3.61 ERA and 1.28 WHIP over 14 starts with Double-A Erie. He was the team’s second-round pick in 2009 and was ranked as the organization’s No. 4 prospect by Baseball America over the winter.
Turner is even more highly-touted. Last year’s first-round draft pick, the 19-year-old right-hander is 3-4 with a 4.14 ERA over his first 16 professional outings between Single-A West Michigan and High-A Lakeland. He was ranked as the organization’s No. 1 prospect by Baseball America before the season and was included in BA’s midseason Top 50 prospects earlier this month.
There’s no way the Tigers would actually do this, nor are we sure if the Diamondbacks were willing to pay some of the $33 million left on Haren’s contract as part of the proposal.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)