Jul 24, 2010, 4:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: No surprise here. Hart is out of the lineup against the Nationals tonight. He told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that his wrist is still too sore to even try to swing a bat.
“It’s sore,” he said. “Hopefully, it won’t be too long, especially the way things have been going for me. I might miss a few days.”
“I’ll take treatment until it stops hurting.
I’m lucky I didn’t break anything. It could have been a lot worse.”
11:04 AM: We already saw one trade target go down when David DeJesus suffered a season-ending thumb injury against the Yankees on Thursday night. We nearly lost another one last night.
Corey Hart jammed his right wrist into the side wall along the right field line while attempting to track down a fly ball in the third inning against the Nationals. He remained in the game at first, but was pulled for a pinch-hitter, Jim Edmonds, in the bottom of the frame.
Hart underwent X-rays and an MRI on the wrist, which revealed no fracture, according to Jordan Schnelling of MLB.com. Brewers manager Ken Macha is calling him day-to-day.
“When they were doing all the tests out in right field on him, it didn’t
look that bad,” Macha said. “Where it was located, they were concerned
there may be a small bone fracture in there, so they did the MRI.”
Fortunately, it looks like Hart managed to avoid major injury, but any absence could complicate Doug Melvin’s efforts to trade him.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)