Angels acquire Dan Haren from the Diamondbacks for Joe Saunders and three prospects

Jul 25, 2010, 6:27 PM EST

According to the Diamondbacks’ official Twitter page the team has traded Dan Haren to the Angels for Joe Saunders, Patrick Corbin, Rafael Rodriguez, and a player to be named later.
While the Yankees, Twins, Tigers, and Cardinals were all repeatedly linked to Haren over the past couple weeks, the Angels kind of came out of nowhere to snag the ace right-hander.
Most reports said the Diamondbacks were focused on getting back some MLB-ready pitching help in a Haren deal and certainly Saunders fits that bill, but as a 29-year-old who has posted an ERA under 4.40 just once in his career he’s hardly a long-term building block.
He’s little more than a soon-to-be 30-year-old mid-rotation starter and neither Corbin nor Rodriguez were ranked among the Angels’ top 10 prospects by Baseball America heading into the season, so the identity of the player to be named later is key.
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the PTBL “is a top prospect” but is “not going to be Mike Trout,” who ranks as one of the elite prospects in all of baseball. No other Angels were included in Baseball America‘s midseason update of the top 25 prospects in baseball, so while the PTBNL may prove to be someone very good it won’t be an elite prospect. And because of that, I really like this deal for the Angels.
Saunders is generally overrated because his career win-loss record is much better than his ERA, secondary numbers, or raw stuff, and to get Haren by packaging him with three non-elite prospects is a no-brainer for the Angels. Haren is signed for reasonable money through 2013 and is a legitimate top-of-the-rotation ace who ranks among the top 12-15 starters in baseball.
I’m shocked that the Diamondbacks were willing to sell so low on Haren and just as surprised that no other teams stepped up to beat the Angels’ underwhelming offer.

1. DualLeads - Jul 25, 2010 at 7:11 PM

But…but…wasn’t I reading only minutes ago about how a “sure thing” it was that the Yankees had the inside track on this guy????
    D-O-N-T K-N-O-W S-Q-U-A-T

2. harryaz - Jul 25, 2010 at 7:48 PM

It’s all about dumping salary. The DBacks just gave Haren what he wanted, a contender on the west coast.

3. John - Jul 25, 2010 at 8:17 PM

My god. This looks like an epic loss for the D’backs. I really don’t understand it.

4. Al - Jul 25, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Unfortunately this is not really such an upgrade for the Angels either. Dan Haren is a good pitcher in the NL West. Will he be the difference for the Angels to get to the postseason? Who knows? I don’t think so and neither does the Yankees or anyone else who bid for him. I am happy for Dan Haren to get to a contending club and out of the NL west. It’s a good move for him.

5. Md23Rewls - Jul 25, 2010 at 11:39 PM

While I agree that the pitching-in-the-NL dealie should be factored in, it’s not like this is the first time he’s been in the AL. He pitched three solid years for Oakland. Same division he’s going to now. He’s not going to be enough to get Anaheim to the playoffs, but for what they’re giving up, it’s an absolute steal.
    I think New York’s offer (if they actually made the offer rumored) was stronger than Anaheim’s, though I suspect that the reason that Arizona didn’t bite is that New York didn’t offer to pick up Haren’s entire salary. Chamberlain sort of sucks right now, but at least you can sell your fans on him as a young flamethrower who has room for progression. How are you going to sell your fans Joe Saunders? Do you go the, “Hey, here’s another mediocre starter who does not particularly impress in any facet of the game! Come buy tickets!” route? Good luck with that, Arizona. What an odd fall from respectability for a team that just a few years ago was supposed to be breaking out and challenging for the NL pennant.

6. Joboo - Jul 25, 2010 at 11:40 PM

The PTBNL is likely Tyler Skaggs (40th pick, 2009 draft). He has to be held back because he signed in early August of last year, and a player can’t be traded before a full year is up (I think… I don’t know the official rule). Tony Reagins was on the radio saying that Arizona was given a “small list” for the PTBNL and they should see it resolve within the next month.
    I like to move, but the Angels just flushed 6 arms out of their system in two trades, and only got one (a great one, sure) back. Whether they were great pitchers or not, they obviously had enough upside for other teams to pick them up and they’ll have to be replaced by somebody. Also, I’m a little gun-shy about this after the Kazmir trade last season.

7. Ultimate Yankee Fan - Jul 26, 2010 at 4:30 AM

Come On, ranks among the top 12-15 starters in baseball. Heck there are 6 or 7 starters just on the top 3 teams in the American League East better than Haren. Then take Lee, Hernandez, Verlander, Johnson, Wainwright, Carpenter, Halladay, Lincecum, Santana, Gallardo and I could name at least 3 or 4 others that are at least as good as Haren if not better. Maybe in 2007 & 2008 you could have said he was among the top 12 or so pitchers in baseball but not now.

8. sanny.wa - Jul 26, 2010 at 5:41 AM

Hey,I am a tall girl,because of tall,seems difficult to find a boy friend for me,I am
    anxiety sometime.Since I joined the club __”T-a-l-l-l-o-v-i-n-g.C./O./M”__, I find many
    good tall admirers,tall guys, tall girls,even models. If you are a tall admirer or tall
    single, please join us.Discuss love romance and friendship with us.

9. sanny.wa - Jul 26, 2010 at 5:43 AM

Angels acquire Dan Haren from the Diamondbacks for Joe Saunders and three prospects

10. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 26, 2010 at 7:54 AM

How does Ruben not give up Happ, who is younger and better than Saunders, plus a top ten prospect and a couple A ball guys for Haren? That package would have blown away the package the Angels received.

11. BC - Jul 26, 2010 at 8:53 AM

This makes the Kazmir-Zambrano trade look like an even deal… What was Arizona thinking??!?! Anyone have a pulse in their front office???!?

12. HOLLA(R) - Jul 26, 2010 at 4:04 PM

But how do you feel about the Dan Haren trade, tall girl?

13. aaronp - Jul 27, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I forgot about that trade… I thought Kazmir was going to be a top 10 pitcher when the Nyets cousin made that trade. Guess it wasn’t as bad as everyone said it was though it still was pretty bad

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester