Jul 25, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan first reported it last night and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is confirming. The Rangers, six games up in the American League West, are going hard after Marlins corner infielder Jorge Cantu in their ongoing search for a quality right-handed bat.
Cantu, 28, isn’t having the best July, but he was an RBI machine earlier this season and he’s tallied a respectable 10 home runs in 358 at-bats. The Marlins appear ready to clear a roster spot for top prospect Logan Morrison, who is batting .304/.423/.471 with five homers and 42 RBI in 227 at-bats for Triple-A New Orleans.
Cantu would serve as a backup to young first baseman Chris Davis in Texas and would also act as a quality late-innings pinch-hitter. As it stands, the Rangers’ bench consists of the light-hitting Joaquin Arias, journeyman Andres Blanco, backup catcher Taylor Teagarden and outfielder David Murphy.
The Rangers have been great this year, but if there is one area that needs improvement it is the bench.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)