Jul 25, 2010, 5:38 PM EDT
Bill Ladson of MLB.com heard from a source Sunday that the Tigers have “great interest” in Nationals first baseman Adam Dunn. FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal suspects that the Nats may be leaking this news to drive up the White Sox’s offer, but it’s worth looking into anyway.
The Tigers have been hit with three major injuries in the past few days. Third baseman Brandon Inge is out with a broken bone in his left hand, outfielder Magglio Ordonez could miss up to two months with a fractured ankle and second baseman Carlos Guillen was placed on the disabled list Sunday with a calf strain.
There’s no doubt that they could use a bat, and Dunn has slugged with the best of them this season. Through 351 at-bats, he’s hitting .279/.368/.564 with 23 home runs and 63 RBI. The Tigers have used Johnny Damon at DH for the most part this season, but he’s needed in the outfield with this sudden rush of injuries. Dunn could DH, then, in Detroit.
The 30-year-old Dunn is earning $12 million this year and will be a free agent once the offseason hits. The Nationals have abandoned the idea of trying to ink him to a contract extension because his demands have been sky-high.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 11
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)