Jul 25, 2010, 5:38 PM EST
Bill Ladson of MLB.com heard from a source Sunday that the Tigers have “great interest” in Nationals first baseman Adam Dunn. FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal suspects that the Nats may be leaking this news to drive up the White Sox’s offer, but it’s worth looking into anyway.
The Tigers have been hit with three major injuries in the past few days. Third baseman Brandon Inge is out with a broken bone in his left hand, outfielder Magglio Ordonez could miss up to two months with a fractured ankle and second baseman Carlos Guillen was placed on the disabled list Sunday with a calf strain.
There’s no doubt that they could use a bat, and Dunn has slugged with the best of them this season. Through 351 at-bats, he’s hitting .279/.368/.564 with 23 home runs and 63 RBI. The Tigers have used Johnny Damon at DH for the most part this season, but he’s needed in the outfield with this sudden rush of injuries. Dunn could DH, then, in Detroit.
The 30-year-old Dunn is earning $12 million this year and will be a free agent once the offseason hits. The Nationals have abandoned the idea of trying to ink him to a contract extension because his demands have been sky-high.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)