Jul 25, 2010, 5:38 PM EDT
Bill Ladson of MLB.com heard from a source Sunday that the Tigers have “great interest” in Nationals first baseman Adam Dunn. FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal suspects that the Nats may be leaking this news to drive up the White Sox’s offer, but it’s worth looking into anyway.
The Tigers have been hit with three major injuries in the past few days. Third baseman Brandon Inge is out with a broken bone in his left hand, outfielder Magglio Ordonez could miss up to two months with a fractured ankle and second baseman Carlos Guillen was placed on the disabled list Sunday with a calf strain.
There’s no doubt that they could use a bat, and Dunn has slugged with the best of them this season. Through 351 at-bats, he’s hitting .279/.368/.564 with 23 home runs and 63 RBI. The Tigers have used Johnny Damon at DH for the most part this season, but he’s needed in the outfield with this sudden rush of injuries. Dunn could DH, then, in Detroit.
The 30-year-old Dunn is earning $12 million this year and will be a free agent once the offseason hits. The Nationals have abandoned the idea of trying to ink him to a contract extension because his demands have been sky-high.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)