Jul 25, 2010, 5:38 PM EDT
Bill Ladson of MLB.com heard from a source Sunday that the Tigers have “great interest” in Nationals first baseman Adam Dunn. FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal suspects that the Nats may be leaking this news to drive up the White Sox’s offer, but it’s worth looking into anyway.
The Tigers have been hit with three major injuries in the past few days. Third baseman Brandon Inge is out with a broken bone in his left hand, outfielder Magglio Ordonez could miss up to two months with a fractured ankle and second baseman Carlos Guillen was placed on the disabled list Sunday with a calf strain.
There’s no doubt that they could use a bat, and Dunn has slugged with the best of them this season. Through 351 at-bats, he’s hitting .279/.368/.564 with 23 home runs and 63 RBI. The Tigers have used Johnny Damon at DH for the most part this season, but he’s needed in the outfield with this sudden rush of injuries. Dunn could DH, then, in Detroit.
The 30-year-old Dunn is earning $12 million this year and will be a free agent once the offseason hits. The Nationals have abandoned the idea of trying to ink him to a contract extension because his demands have been sky-high.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 36
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (80)