Jul 25, 2010, 8:42 AM EDT
SUNDAY: The Giants’ official Twitter feed brings us good news. Velez never lost consciousness Saturday and his CT scan came back negative. He spent the night in the hospital, but mostly for precautionary purposes.
SATURDAY, 10:42 PM: Scary scene tonight at Arizona’s Chase Field.
Giants utilityman Eugenio Velez had to be carried out of the stadium on a stretcher after being struck in the dugout by a Pat Burrell foul ball. It appeared to hit him in the head, but the Giants have not confirmed where exactly he has struck. What we do know is that it looked ugly, and that the 28-year-old Velez laid on the ground for over a minute while his concerned teammates gathered around.
Velez was taken to a local hospital and most likely suffered a concussion, if not something worse. He has hit .196/.275/.370 this season with two home runs, eight RBI and seven runs scored in 46 at-bats.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)