Jul 25, 2010, 8:42 AM EDT
SUNDAY: The Giants’ official Twitter feed brings us good news. Velez never lost consciousness Saturday and his CT scan came back negative. He spent the night in the hospital, but mostly for precautionary purposes.
SATURDAY, 10:42 PM: Scary scene tonight at Arizona’s Chase Field.
Giants utilityman Eugenio Velez had to be carried out of the stadium on a stretcher after being struck in the dugout by a Pat Burrell foul ball. It appeared to hit him in the head, but the Giants have not confirmed where exactly he has struck. What we do know is that it looked ugly, and that the 28-year-old Velez laid on the ground for over a minute while his concerned teammates gathered around.
Velez was taken to a local hospital and most likely suffered a concussion, if not something worse. He has hit .196/.275/.370 this season with two home runs, eight RBI and seven runs scored in 46 at-bats.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)