Jul 25, 2010, 8:42 AM EDT
SUNDAY: The Giants’ official Twitter feed brings us good news. Velez never lost consciousness Saturday and his CT scan came back negative. He spent the night in the hospital, but mostly for precautionary purposes.
SATURDAY, 10:42 PM: Scary scene tonight at Arizona’s Chase Field.
Giants utilityman Eugenio Velez had to be carried out of the stadium on a stretcher after being struck in the dugout by a Pat Burrell foul ball. It appeared to hit him in the head, but the Giants have not confirmed where exactly he has struck. What we do know is that it looked ugly, and that the 28-year-old Velez laid on the ground for over a minute while his concerned teammates gathered around.
Velez was taken to a local hospital and most likely suffered a concussion, if not something worse. He has hit .196/.275/.370 this season with two home runs, eight RBI and seven runs scored in 46 at-bats.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)