Jul 25, 2010, 8:42 AM EDT
SUNDAY: The Giants’ official Twitter feed brings us good news. Velez never lost consciousness Saturday and his CT scan came back negative. He spent the night in the hospital, but mostly for precautionary purposes.
SATURDAY, 10:42 PM: Scary scene tonight at Arizona’s Chase Field.
Giants utilityman Eugenio Velez had to be carried out of the stadium on a stretcher after being struck in the dugout by a Pat Burrell foul ball. It appeared to hit him in the head, but the Giants have not confirmed where exactly he has struck. What we do know is that it looked ugly, and that the 28-year-old Velez laid on the ground for over a minute while his concerned teammates gathered around.
Velez was taken to a local hospital and most likely suffered a concussion, if not something worse. He has hit .196/.275/.370 this season with two home runs, eight RBI and seven runs scored in 46 at-bats.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)