Jul 25, 2010, 8:42 AM EDT
SUNDAY: The Giants’ official Twitter feed brings us good news. Velez never lost consciousness Saturday and his CT scan came back negative. He spent the night in the hospital, but mostly for precautionary purposes.
SATURDAY, 10:42 PM: Scary scene tonight at Arizona’s Chase Field.
Giants utilityman Eugenio Velez had to be carried out of the stadium on a stretcher after being struck in the dugout by a Pat Burrell foul ball. It appeared to hit him in the head, but the Giants have not confirmed where exactly he has struck. What we do know is that it looked ugly, and that the 28-year-old Velez laid on the ground for over a minute while his concerned teammates gathered around.
Velez was taken to a local hospital and most likely suffered a concussion, if not something worse. He has hit .196/.275/.370 this season with two home runs, eight RBI and seven runs scored in 46 at-bats.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)