B.J. Upton isn't going anywhere

Jul 26, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT

Ken Rosenthal reports that  Rays outfielder B.J. Upton “remains unlikely to be moved.”  This isn’t Earth-shattering news, but Upton had been thrown around as possible trade bait for a pitcher, mostly when Cliff Lee was still being shopped.

Upton is having a terrible year, but occasional lapses aside, defense doesn’t slump as much as hitting and the Rays seem to not want to upset the apple cart too much given that the Rays are a likely playoff team this season.

1. basiltherat - Jul 26, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I would love for someone to explain to me what the heck happened to Upton (in a way that doesn’t involve impugning his character). I chalked up his power shortage in ’08 to his torn labrum, and I was ready to believe that he was never 100 percent last year after having the shoulder repaired. Now, I just don’t know. Was I delusional? Is he permanently damaged?

2. BC - Jul 26, 2010 at 1:31 PM

The Rays won’t get rid of Upton. They know they’re already losing Crawford at the end of the year, and they wouldn’t want to be down 2 outfielders.

3. Corey - Jul 26, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Please Tampa Bay move this guy. He is terrible on the field. I can’t understand why everybody talks about his defense when he loafs after fly balls.
    If a team offers a bag of chips, please take it Friedman.

4. Md23Rewls - Jul 26, 2010 at 2:11 PM

I know other teams would probably take the guy, but if I’m a GM, I want nothing to do with B.J. Upton. He hasn’t done anything since 2007. Still only 25, but really, what’s his ceiling at this point?

5. .fanball58 - Jul 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Last of the 3 poison apples (Delmon Young, Elijah Dukes) on the Rays and this one is rotten too. Perez has proved that he can take the place of Upton and do well but stays in Durham waiting for the Rays management to finally see that Upton is a dim bulb in the Rays future.
    They should package Upton and Pena together and get anything they can – neither will be here in St Petersburg next year regardless. Then focus on resigning Crawford in the off season and bring up some more of the young guys at AAA.
    Bartlett is another one under performing while Brignac rides the pine looking for playing time. Send him on his way and get something for him now.
    Now about Matt Garza – he’s fallen to the 5th starter and continues to lose ground – find a way to get rid of him too and bring up the fire-baller from Durham.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3700)