Jul 26, 2010, 12:47 PM EST
Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Blue Jays “have been aiming high” with their asking price for reliever Scott Downs by “asking for one of the top two or three prospects in the farm systems of interested clubs.”
It’s important to note that “one of the top two or three prospects” in one farm system could be vastly better or worse than “one of the top two or three prospects” in another farm system, but either way Toronto is justified in asking a lot for Downs.
Not only is he a very good reliever, as an impending free agent likely destined for Type A status the Blue Jays could simply take a pair of compensatory draft picks for letting him walk.
Downs isn’t a household name because he’s yet to get an extended stint closing games, but he has a 2.55 ERA, .221 opponents’ batting average, and 256/107 K/BB ratio in 303 career innings as a reliever. He’s also much more than a left-handed specialist, holding right-handed batters to a .237 batting average since 2007.
Speier speculates that the Red Sox could make a run at Downs as a late-inning replacement for Hideki Okajimi, who has struggled this season.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 13
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 22
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)