Jul 26, 2010, 12:47 PM EDT
Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Blue Jays “have been aiming high” with their asking price for reliever Scott Downs by “asking for one of the top two or three prospects in the farm systems of interested clubs.”
It’s important to note that “one of the top two or three prospects” in one farm system could be vastly better or worse than “one of the top two or three prospects” in another farm system, but either way Toronto is justified in asking a lot for Downs.
Not only is he a very good reliever, as an impending free agent likely destined for Type A status the Blue Jays could simply take a pair of compensatory draft picks for letting him walk.
Downs isn’t a household name because he’s yet to get an extended stint closing games, but he has a 2.55 ERA, .221 opponents’ batting average, and 256/107 K/BB ratio in 303 career innings as a reliever. He’s also much more than a left-handed specialist, holding right-handed batters to a .237 batting average since 2007.
Speier speculates that the Red Sox could make a run at Downs as a late-inning replacement for Hideki Okajimi, who has struggled this season.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)