Jul 26, 2010, 12:47 PM EDT
Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Blue Jays “have been aiming high” with their asking price for reliever Scott Downs by “asking for one of the top two or three prospects in the farm systems of interested clubs.”
It’s important to note that “one of the top two or three prospects” in one farm system could be vastly better or worse than “one of the top two or three prospects” in another farm system, but either way Toronto is justified in asking a lot for Downs.
Not only is he a very good reliever, as an impending free agent likely destined for Type A status the Blue Jays could simply take a pair of compensatory draft picks for letting him walk.
Downs isn’t a household name because he’s yet to get an extended stint closing games, but he has a 2.55 ERA, .221 opponents’ batting average, and 256/107 K/BB ratio in 303 career innings as a reliever. He’s also much more than a left-handed specialist, holding right-handed batters to a .237 batting average since 2007.
Speier speculates that the Red Sox could make a run at Downs as a late-inning replacement for Hideki Okajimi, who has struggled this season.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (141)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)