Jul 26, 2010, 9:49 AM EDT
How much of this is politeness towards the Cubs upon being asked a question about them and how much of this is Bobby V. actually wanting the job is hard to say, but . . .
The ESPN analyst and former New York Mets and Texas Rangers manager
says he’s interested in taking over for the retiring Lou Piniella after
Valentine, who led the Mets to the pennant in 2000 and managed the
Texas Rangers, calls the Cubs job “one of the most coveted positions in
all of sports” and adds “anybody who thinks of himself as a manager
would love to be considered as one of the people who might take his
place.” Valentine spoke before Sunday’s game between the Cubs and Cardinals.
He returned to ESPN during the 2009 playoffs after his second stint
as manager of the Chiba Lotte Marines in Japan’s Pacific League. He says
he won’t leave the network “unless something very special came up,” and
the Cubs job “falls in the category of very special.”
I still can’t see how the Cubs could go in any direction but Ryne Sandberg. He’s a local legend who has clearly stated that he wants the job and, most importantly, he has put his time in down in the minors for the express purpose of getting it. If he isn’t given the job he leaves the organization, right?
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte