Jul 26, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Brad Lidge has certainly come up with some, shall we say, creative saves while struggling the last two years, but perhaps nothing tops today’s.
After entering a 5-2 game against the Rockies to start the top of the ninth, he gave a double and a homer to bring the Colorado to within one. He then allowed the Rockies to load up the bases with two outs before finally retiring Ryan Spilborghs on a comebacker to end the game.
In yielding three hits and two walks (one intentional), he became the first pitcher in two years to allow five men to reach and still pick up a one-inning save.
The unusual occurence had happened a total of 12 times since 2000, including once in a Lidge save back in 2005. Lidge, though, was hurt by an error in that one and both runs he allowed were unearned. Here’s the list:
1. Jeff Brantley (Phillies) – May 21, 2000
2. Ricky Bottalico (Royals) – Aug. 7, 2000
3. Trevor Hoffman (Padres) – April 3, 2002
4. Billy Koch (Athletics) – Sept. 27, 2002
5. Jorge Julio (Orioles) – May 9, 2004
6. Keith Foulke (Red Sox) – April 8, 2005
7. Brad Lidge (Astros) – Aug. 10, 2005
8. Bobby Jenks (White Sox) – Sept. 29, 2006
9. Todd Jones (Tigers) – May 19, 2007
10. Joe Borowski (Indians) – July 20, 2007
11. C.J. Wilson (Rangers) – Sept. 2, 2007
12. C.J. Wilson (Rangers) – June 15, 2008
Of course, all of these pitchers allowed exactly two runs. However, for Lidge’s 2005 save and Borowski’s in 2007, both runs were unearned.
That today’s five-baserunner save featured a homer made it even more rare. None of the previous 11 had. Brantley’s did, though.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)