Jul 26, 2010, 6:15 PM EST
Brad Lidge has certainly come up with some, shall we say, creative saves while struggling the last two years, but perhaps nothing tops today’s.
After entering a 5-2 game against the Rockies to start the top of the ninth, he gave a double and a homer to bring the Colorado to within one. He then allowed the Rockies to load up the bases with two outs before finally retiring Ryan Spilborghs on a comebacker to end the game.
In yielding three hits and two walks (one intentional), he became the first pitcher in two years to allow five men to reach and still pick up a one-inning save.
The unusual occurence had happened a total of 12 times since 2000, including once in a Lidge save back in 2005. Lidge, though, was hurt by an error in that one and both runs he allowed were unearned. Here’s the list:
1. Jeff Brantley (Phillies) – May 21, 2000
2. Ricky Bottalico (Royals) – Aug. 7, 2000
3. Trevor Hoffman (Padres) – April 3, 2002
4. Billy Koch (Athletics) – Sept. 27, 2002
5. Jorge Julio (Orioles) – May 9, 2004
6. Keith Foulke (Red Sox) – April 8, 2005
7. Brad Lidge (Astros) – Aug. 10, 2005
8. Bobby Jenks (White Sox) – Sept. 29, 2006
9. Todd Jones (Tigers) – May 19, 2007
10. Joe Borowski (Indians) – July 20, 2007
11. C.J. Wilson (Rangers) – Sept. 2, 2007
12. C.J. Wilson (Rangers) – June 15, 2008
Of course, all of these pitchers allowed exactly two runs. However, for Lidge’s 2005 save and Borowski’s in 2007, both runs were unearned.
That today’s five-baserunner save featured a homer made it even more rare. None of the previous 11 had. Brantley’s did, though.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)