Jul 26, 2010, 9:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: He did it! Matt Garza just completed the first no-hitter in Rays’ history and the fifth no-hitter of the season.
He needed 120 pitches to do it, striking out six and walking just one. Because of a double-play ball in the second inning, he faced the minimum.
Now that the Rays have a no-hitter, that leaves the Padres and the Mets as the only teams in MLB without a no-no.
9:34 PM: Garza has a no-hitter through eight innings. He got Miguel Cabrera to line out to left, Brennan Boesch to strike out looking and Ryan Raburn swinging. A chance at history awaits him in the ninth.
9:21 PM: Turn on your televisions, people.
Matt Garza currently has a no-hitter through seven innings against the Tigers. He has walked one and struck out three.
Believe it or not, Max Scherzer had a no-hitter of his own through five innings, however it was broken up with two outs in the bottom of the sixth on a grand slam by Matt Joyce just inside of the right field foul pole. I’m sure something like that has happened before, but geez. Moments like that are why we keep coming back for more. The Rays currently lead this one 4-0 in the bottom of the seventh.
We’ll soon see if Garza can hang on for the first no-hitter in franchise history and the fifth no-no of the 2010 season. Stay tuned.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 41
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut