Jul 26, 2010, 9:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: He did it! Matt Garza just completed the first no-hitter in Rays’ history and the fifth no-hitter of the season.
He needed 120 pitches to do it, striking out six and walking just one. Because of a double-play ball in the second inning, he faced the minimum.
Now that the Rays have a no-hitter, that leaves the Padres and the Mets as the only teams in MLB without a no-no.
9:34 PM: Garza has a no-hitter through eight innings. He got Miguel Cabrera to line out to left, Brennan Boesch to strike out looking and Ryan Raburn swinging. A chance at history awaits him in the ninth.
9:21 PM: Turn on your televisions, people.
Matt Garza currently has a no-hitter through seven innings against the Tigers. He has walked one and struck out three.
Believe it or not, Max Scherzer had a no-hitter of his own through five innings, however it was broken up with two outs in the bottom of the sixth on a grand slam by Matt Joyce just inside of the right field foul pole. I’m sure something like that has happened before, but geez. Moments like that are why we keep coming back for more. The Rays currently lead this one 4-0 in the bottom of the seventh.
We’ll soon see if Garza can hang on for the first no-hitter in franchise history and the fifth no-no of the 2010 season. Stay tuned.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)