Jul 26, 2010, 9:49 PM EST
UPDATE: He did it! Matt Garza just completed the first no-hitter in Rays’ history and the fifth no-hitter of the season.
He needed 120 pitches to do it, striking out six and walking just one. Because of a double-play ball in the second inning, he faced the minimum.
Now that the Rays have a no-hitter, that leaves the Padres and the Mets as the only teams in MLB without a no-no.
9:34 PM: Garza has a no-hitter through eight innings. He got Miguel Cabrera to line out to left, Brennan Boesch to strike out looking and Ryan Raburn swinging. A chance at history awaits him in the ninth.
9:21 PM: Turn on your televisions, people.
Matt Garza currently has a no-hitter through seven innings against the Tigers. He has walked one and struck out three.
Believe it or not, Max Scherzer had a no-hitter of his own through five innings, however it was broken up with two outs in the bottom of the sixth on a grand slam by Matt Joyce just inside of the right field foul pole. I’m sure something like that has happened before, but geez. Moments like that are why we keep coming back for more. The Rays currently lead this one 4-0 in the bottom of the seventh.
We’ll soon see if Garza can hang on for the first no-hitter in franchise history and the fifth no-no of the 2010 season. Stay tuned.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)