Jul 26, 2010, 9:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: He did it! Matt Garza just completed the first no-hitter in Rays’ history and the fifth no-hitter of the season.
He needed 120 pitches to do it, striking out six and walking just one. Because of a double-play ball in the second inning, he faced the minimum.
Now that the Rays have a no-hitter, that leaves the Padres and the Mets as the only teams in MLB without a no-no.
9:34 PM: Garza has a no-hitter through eight innings. He got Miguel Cabrera to line out to left, Brennan Boesch to strike out looking and Ryan Raburn swinging. A chance at history awaits him in the ninth.
9:21 PM: Turn on your televisions, people.
Matt Garza currently has a no-hitter through seven innings against the Tigers. He has walked one and struck out three.
Believe it or not, Max Scherzer had a no-hitter of his own through five innings, however it was broken up with two outs in the bottom of the sixth on a grand slam by Matt Joyce just inside of the right field foul pole. I’m sure something like that has happened before, but geez. Moments like that are why we keep coming back for more. The Rays currently lead this one 4-0 in the bottom of the seventh.
We’ll soon see if Garza can hang on for the first no-hitter in franchise history and the fifth no-no of the 2010 season. Stay tuned.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 0
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 49
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)