Jul 26, 2010, 1:48 PM EST
Based on Arizona’s underwhelming return for Dan Haren and the right-hander’s giddy reaction to being traded to another West Coast team it’s clear that his no-trade clause played a role in limiting the Diamondbacks’ options.
Minnesota and Detroit were among the teams linked to Haren last week, but both were reportedly on his no-trade list and it’s no surprise that he was less than enthusiastic about the possibility of going to a cold-weather city in the middle of the country.
Haren was born and raised in California, played college ball at Pepperdine University in Malibu, spent the past six seasons in Oakland and Phoenix, and sounds thrilled to be moving to Anaheim:
I was born and raised 20 minutes from there, and I still have a lot of family there. This point in my career, being on the West Coast has a lot of value for me. Being able to be near family and going to a ball club that is dedicated to winning–for not just this year but a lot of years–I am very excited for the chance to go there and win.
I’m willing to accept that Haren’s ability to block a deal to several interested teams limited the Diamondbacks’ options, but they still sold very low on a 29-year-old pitcher signed for reasonable money through 2013 and the package they ended up accepting from the Angels was largely built around a significantly worse 29-year-old pitcher they’re overvaluing because of his nice-looking winning percentage.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)