Jul 26, 2010, 1:48 PM EST
Based on Arizona’s underwhelming return for Dan Haren and the right-hander’s giddy reaction to being traded to another West Coast team it’s clear that his no-trade clause played a role in limiting the Diamondbacks’ options.
Minnesota and Detroit were among the teams linked to Haren last week, but both were reportedly on his no-trade list and it’s no surprise that he was less than enthusiastic about the possibility of going to a cold-weather city in the middle of the country.
Haren was born and raised in California, played college ball at Pepperdine University in Malibu, spent the past six seasons in Oakland and Phoenix, and sounds thrilled to be moving to Anaheim:
I was born and raised 20 minutes from there, and I still have a lot of family there. This point in my career, being on the West Coast has a lot of value for me. Being able to be near family and going to a ball club that is dedicated to winning–for not just this year but a lot of years–I am very excited for the chance to go there and win.
I’m willing to accept that Haren’s ability to block a deal to several interested teams limited the Diamondbacks’ options, but they still sold very low on a 29-year-old pitcher signed for reasonable money through 2013 and the package they ended up accepting from the Angels was largely built around a significantly worse 29-year-old pitcher they’re overvaluing because of his nice-looking winning percentage.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)