Jul 26, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT
When you come off a 2-9 road trip in which your team was shut out four times, there’s a decent chance your hitting coach is gonna be in deep trouble. That seems to be the case with the Mets, reports Adam Rubin. Omar Minaya seems poised to fire someone, and that someone is likely to be Howard Johnson.
I remain of the opinion that hitting coaches basically make little difference in the grand scheme of things. Indeed, I think they serve a larger purpose as fall guys than they do in actually helping a team hit the ball better. And Johnson appears to be a fall guy here. The firing designed to forestall Jerry Manuel’s, whose firing in turn will be designed to forestall Omar Minaya’s.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)