Jul 26, 2010, 8:50 AM EST
When you come off a 2-9 road trip in which your team was shut out four times, there’s a decent chance your hitting coach is gonna be in deep trouble. That seems to be the case with the Mets, reports Adam Rubin. Omar Minaya seems poised to fire someone, and that someone is likely to be Howard Johnson.
I remain of the opinion that hitting coaches basically make little difference in the grand scheme of things. Indeed, I think they serve a larger purpose as fall guys than they do in actually helping a team hit the ball better. And Johnson appears to be a fall guy here. The firing designed to forestall Jerry Manuel’s, whose firing in turn will be designed to forestall Omar Minaya’s.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 0
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 31
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 12
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 133
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (135)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)