OK, maybe the Mets aren't going to fire Howard Johnson

Jul 26, 2010, 5:33 PM EST

When we all woke up this morning the buzz was that the Mets were poised to fire hitting coach Howard Johnson. Now Andy Martino of the Daily News hears from his sources that if they Mets were really going to can HoJo, they would have done it already.

I stand by my belief that firing a hitting coach over a team’s won-loss record is about as useful as a rain dance or rubbing a rabbit’s foot. Heck, maybe less useful, because at least rain dances and rubbing a rabbit’s foot are acts borne of some positive impulse that could at least give everyone involved some peace of mind.

Not that I’m alone in this. Indeed, I saw a number of people in the sporting press and the greater Mets Kingdom express similar sentiments today. Some even said that if Omar Minaya were to fire Johnson that he’d be doing so to distract from the more pressing need of firing Jerry Manuel or maybe even taking the fall himself.  Part of me wonders if he saw some of that himself today and changes his mind.

If so, you owe all of us bloggers a beer, Johnson.

1. Old Gator - Jul 26, 2010 at 7:09 PM

“If I bring about his death, I fear that I plant my own.”
    …Cromwell musing on his prosecution of Thomas More in A Man for All Seasons (stage play version).
    Maybe Omar was up late reading last night.

2. Professor Longnose - Jul 26, 2010 at 7:44 PM

“Everybody dies.”
    …Billy Martin in Body and Soul (imaginary version).

3. DualLeads - Jul 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM

No buzz – just more speculative junk with no basis or inside info

4. RichardInBigD - Jul 26, 2010 at 8:56 PM

How can an organization whose color scheme is blue and orange POSSIBLY fire a guy named Howard Johnson?

5. Old Gator - Jul 26, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Hilarious.Thanks. But it made me yearn for clam strips.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4678)