Roy Oswalt doesn't want to go to Philly

Jul 26, 2010, 3:11 PM EST

While a trade of Roy Oswalt to the Cardinals is looking more and more problematic, it may not be nearly as problematic as a trade to his other often-rumored destination: Philadelphia. Why? Rosenthal and Morosi report that Roy Oswalt simply doesn’t want to go the Phillies, they say, citing “a source with direct knowledge of his thinking.”

This is not a total surprise. The source I spoke with last week about Oswalt’s preference for St. Louis didn’t specifically say that Oswalt had ruled out the Phillies, but based on how emphatic the suggestion was that he wants to go to the Cardinals, it may not have been crazy to draw such an assumption.

Based on the fact that the team he wants to join won’t pay the price Ed Wade is asking and the team that might pay that price is on Oswalt’s poop-list, it may very well be the case that old Roy goes absolutely nowhere.

1. Jonny5 - Jul 26, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Well………. Fvck him too….. We’ll see if he’d rather stay in “going nowhere fast” Houston. That doesn’t make much sense to me since no one has spoken like that since the days of Rowand. It’s good enough for Roy Halladay but not Roy Oswalt? Hmmm?

2. JimmyY - Jul 26, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Oswalt either has to suffer the consequences of getting paid so much for an awful team, or, heaven forbid, GIVE MONEY BACK in order to go somewhere else. No one’s going to take him with that God-awful salary, but hey, you signed on the dotted line and there’s no way he’d accept less so too bad. Unless someone’s stupid enough to restructure over say 30 years, something like Bobby Bonilla getting paid like $1 million/yr by the Mets until like 2019. HAHAHAHA.

3. Reflex - Jul 26, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Who can blame him? Were I a player I wouldn’t want to go to the east coast for one, and given that, Philly specifically. Of course I wouldn’t want to go to Detroit either, man that town is a mess. Roy’s from Mississippi, and while I’m sure he’d like to hit the playoffs, I doubt he wants to go if it means he’s miserable with his living situation. One thing I’ve learned is that quality of life means as much as salary or career advancement, and you couldn’t get me off the west coast for any amount of cash or opportunity.

4. Old Gator - Jul 26, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Maybe he has a cholesterol issue and doesn’t want to be fed all those horrible horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches up there. The Feelies seem to be finding themselves lately and gearing up for a real run – surprising only in that it took them this long. I guess drinking all those canola oil and EDT cocktails finally loosened up their arteries enough to go for it.

5. G2 - Jul 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM

I wanted Haren. I never wanted Oswalt.
    Now I hope he gets traded to an AL team and he has to pitch in CBP in the world series.
    (Mainly because that would mean that the Phillies are in the world series, it would be nice to see the phillies fans make him cry too, but really just want the phillies to get to the WS)

6. The Rabbit - Jul 26, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Gator, Horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches are for tourists. In my house, it’s shaved prime rib and provolone on homebaked Italian rolls….and the natives know where to find them in Philly.

7. kyle s - Jul 26, 2010 at 6:05 PM

“direct knowledge of his thinking”
    you mean like a psychic?

8. mekono - Jul 26, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Did I miss something? I realize that the Astros are not very good, but this pitcher has lost twice as many games as he has won, has had a haed time staying off the DL, and from what I have been able to read, has a fragile psyche when it comes to the media.
    Easy decision Amaro, stay away.

9. Old Gator - Jul 26, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Perhaps like a programmer? Maybe Oswalt is really an Idoru.

10. bigtrav425 - Jul 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Well if he wants to stay with the astro’s who are going nowhere and just make money then good for him! other then that it sounds like he might be a lil bit of a wuss! Worried about being booed by the fans! Grow a set Roy!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2817)
  2. W. Myers (2571)
  3. D. Ross (2257)
  4. C. McGehee (2170)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2004)
  1. J. Shields (1921)