The Rays are number one!

Jul 26, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT

No, not in the AL East! In terms of critical violations of health codes at its concession outlets in their home stadium!

ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” reviewed health department inspection reports
for food and beverage outlets at all 107 North American arenas and
stadiums that were home to Major League Baseball, National Football
League, National Hockey League and National Basketball Association teams
in 2009. At 30 of the venues (28 percent), more than half of the
concession stands or restaurants had been cited for at least one
“critical” or “major” health violation . . . At Tropicana Field — home of the Tampa Bay Rays — every one of the
stadium’s 47 food and drink outlets inspected incurred a critical
violation during inspections within the past year, according to Florida
inspection reports.

Not that the Rays are the only ones doing poorly in this regard. The story has a nice interactive map showing just how terrible every ballpark, stadium and arena is doing in all four major sports. I note a very large number of violations in Florida, though that could just as easily be a function of more stringent inspections in Florida than a difference in actual problems. When you look at stuff like this you’re bound to find differences in how things get reported.

And while the details in this kind of report don’t make me feel all that good, I’ve read enough books over the years that lead me to believe that we really don’t want to hear the details about anyplace we eat.

Hot dogs on me, everyone!

1. Old Gator - Jul 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM

” I note a very large number of violations in Florida, though that could just as easily be a function of more stringent inspections in Florida than a difference in actual problems.”
    Heh heh, could well be the funniest thing you’ve ever written. Pardon me while I phone Stockholm and suggest that the Nobel Committee consider a prize for comedy to accommodate this trenchant analysis of yours. If anything of the sort, it could be retribution for the fallaway in payoffs to the inspectors what with declines in tourist revenue due to the recession or some such thing. And it’s no accident that the violations are being reported in a building that looks like a wart from the air, a half-excavated Bronze Age tumulus from the ground, and still looks moldy on the inside after it’s been pressure cleaned. According to Tropicana Dump concession manager Bernie Birnbaum, the inspectors made the concessionaires a nice offer and the concessionaires gave them the high hat. Makes perfect sense to me.

2. Jonny5 - Jul 26, 2010 at 4:44 PM

This lays out all concession ratings and many other things. http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/citizens-bank-park-s21/ You can check any stadium from this site, which is cool.
    And Gator, check out the vast array of Vegatarian food at CBP, they aren’t all Horsemeat and wiz.

3. Old Gator - Jul 26, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Buddha’s own greens and grains surely can’t be worse than that hideous thing in the photo above. It looks like a half dissected Shoggoth on one of the lab slabs at Area 54. Yecccchhhhh.

4. Old Gator - Jul 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Heh heh, make that Studio 51. Sorry about that.

5. .fanball58 - Jul 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM

I love the Trop – there is nothing wrong with the facility. Its in an excellent location, the air conditioning works great, there still hasn’t been a rain out at that stadium – ever and best of all – it takes me about 10 minutes to get there each way. They will let you bring in your own food too so issues like the one this story is about aren’t a concern of mine. I make it a point NOT to eat or drink anything at the Trop – because of the outrageous prices they charge, now I can add sub par food standards to that argument.
    Most who comment about not liking the Trop don’t live in Pinellas county and are afraid to drive over a bridge to attend a game.

6. YankeesfanLen - Jul 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM

What, is the bridge rickety too?

7. peteinfla - Jul 26, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Nah, just an ugly concrete monstrosity – sort of like Tropicana Field. Having been to many games there, I can’t agree with the assessment above. Everytime I walk in there I feel like I am entering the Bigtop at a traveling circus show, not a professional baseball stadium. And the hardest part of the whole story to understand is how they got so many violations at the concessions. With no fans going, how busy could the concessions be? Should be plenty of time to scrub them!

8. RedLeg15 - Jul 26, 2010 at 9:08 PM

It takes you 10 minutes to get to the game. It takes me damn near 2 hours from Dade City. Downtown Tampa cuts the drive in half for me.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3261)