Jul 26, 2010, 9:13 AM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reported last night that Tyler Skaggs is the player to be named later in the Dan Haren deal. Skaggs is a decent prospect: He just turned 19 and he’s 8-4 with a 3.61 ERA in 82.1 innings for low Class-A Cedar Rapids. Most folks project him to be a mid-rotation starter one day. That’s nice for the Dbacks given that the rest of their “haul” for Haren was so limp. The trade is still a major win for the Angels, of course.
One note of dissent comes from USA Today’s Bob Nightengale, who says that scouts he’s pooled are saying that the Dbacks “made out quite well in the Haren trade.” Maybe they’re overvaluing Skaggs. Maybe there’s something wrong with Haren the majority of us aren’t seeing.
Obviously you can’t completely judge trades at the time they’re made. Based on what we know now, however, it still seems like the Angels got the better of this one by far.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 8
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 3
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)