Jul 26, 2010, 9:13 AM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reported last night that Tyler Skaggs is the player to be named later in the Dan Haren deal. Skaggs is a decent prospect: He just turned 19 and he’s 8-4 with a 3.61 ERA in 82.1 innings for low Class-A Cedar Rapids. Most folks project him to be a mid-rotation starter one day. That’s nice for the Dbacks given that the rest of their “haul” for Haren was so limp. The trade is still a major win for the Angels, of course.
One note of dissent comes from USA Today’s Bob Nightengale, who says that scouts he’s pooled are saying that the Dbacks “made out quite well in the Haren trade.” Maybe they’re overvaluing Skaggs. Maybe there’s something wrong with Haren the majority of us aren’t seeing.
Obviously you can’t completely judge trades at the time they’re made. Based on what we know now, however, it still seems like the Angels got the better of this one by far.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 40
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 29
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 78
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week (80)