Jul 26, 2010, 9:13 AM EST
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reported last night that Tyler Skaggs is the player to be named later in the Dan Haren deal. Skaggs is a decent prospect: He just turned 19 and he’s 8-4 with a 3.61 ERA in 82.1 innings for low Class-A Cedar Rapids. Most folks project him to be a mid-rotation starter one day. That’s nice for the Dbacks given that the rest of their “haul” for Haren was so limp. The trade is still a major win for the Angels, of course.
One note of dissent comes from USA Today’s Bob Nightengale, who says that scouts he’s pooled are saying that the Dbacks “made out quite well in the Haren trade.” Maybe they’re overvaluing Skaggs. Maybe there’s something wrong with Haren the majority of us aren’t seeing.
Obviously you can’t completely judge trades at the time they’re made. Based on what we know now, however, it still seems like the Angels got the better of this one by far.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (127)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)