Jul 26, 2010, 9:13 AM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reported last night that Tyler Skaggs is the player to be named later in the Dan Haren deal. Skaggs is a decent prospect: He just turned 19 and he’s 8-4 with a 3.61 ERA in 82.1 innings for low Class-A Cedar Rapids. Most folks project him to be a mid-rotation starter one day. That’s nice for the Dbacks given that the rest of their “haul” for Haren was so limp. The trade is still a major win for the Angels, of course.
One note of dissent comes from USA Today’s Bob Nightengale, who says that scouts he’s pooled are saying that the Dbacks “made out quite well in the Haren trade.” Maybe they’re overvaluing Skaggs. Maybe there’s something wrong with Haren the majority of us aren’t seeing.
Obviously you can’t completely judge trades at the time they’re made. Based on what we know now, however, it still seems like the Angels got the better of this one by far.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)