Jul 26, 2010, 9:13 AM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reported last night that Tyler Skaggs is the player to be named later in the Dan Haren deal. Skaggs is a decent prospect: He just turned 19 and he’s 8-4 with a 3.61 ERA in 82.1 innings for low Class-A Cedar Rapids. Most folks project him to be a mid-rotation starter one day. That’s nice for the Dbacks given that the rest of their “haul” for Haren was so limp. The trade is still a major win for the Angels, of course.
One note of dissent comes from USA Today’s Bob Nightengale, who says that scouts he’s pooled are saying that the Dbacks “made out quite well in the Haren trade.” Maybe they’re overvaluing Skaggs. Maybe there’s something wrong with Haren the majority of us aren’t seeing.
Obviously you can’t completely judge trades at the time they’re made. Based on what we know now, however, it still seems like the Angels got the better of this one by far.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (84)