Adam Dunn "scolded" for visiting Bob Uecker during a game

Jul 27, 2010, 5:16 PM EDT

Adam Dunn was out of the Nationals’ lineup Saturday, so he decided to pay an in-game visit to the Brewers’ radio booth, where legendary broadcaster Bob Uecker was back in action after returning from heart surgery.
Bill Ladson of MLB.com initially spun the visit as a positive thing, but then described manager Jim Riggleman as “unhappy” when he learned about it the next day and now he reports that general manager Mike Rizzo “scolded” Dunn today.
At the time Dunn said:

I’ve known the guy for a long time. It’s good to see him healthy, having fun and back doing what he loves. It was great. If I get in trouble going up and seeing a guy after he had heart surgery, I’ll pay my fine. That’s ridiculous.

It turns out that Dunn wasn’t fined by the team, but clearly Rizzo and Riggleman weren’t thrilled with his leaving the bench in uniform to visit the opposing team’s radio booth during a game. I’d say this whole incident could impact Dunn’s likelihood of re-signing with the Nationals, but apparently they haven’t even offered him a contract.

1. 2cents - Jul 27, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I guess there’s protocol in this type of thing. Probably the uniform on thing…but hey…it’s Uke and I’m sure Adam could give a rat’s fine hairs what anybody thinks about the deal. I guess Riggleman wanted him to sit there and be a good boy. He went to visit Uke for craps sake. Uke!!

2. ThatGuy - Jul 27, 2010 at 7:03 PM

I suppose it also would depend what inning it happened. If it was late innings and Dunn wasn’t on the bench to possible pinch hit for a pitcher or something because of the trip I could see a reason. If it was early on i dont see the big deal. Although its probably something that could have been done prior to the game.

3. bigtrav425 - Jul 27, 2010 at 7:09 PM

i agree depends when he went to Visit….either way u gotta love when a young guy hsa respect and love for a old timer

4. JBerardi - Jul 27, 2010 at 7:35 PM

My God, an athlete breached an informal protocol in order to say hi to a friend who’s recently recovered from heart surgery? What kind of example does this set for our nation’s youth?!

5. MuskyHunter2542 - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:40 AM