Jul 27, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Because nothing is easy with Carlos Zambrano, even his apology to his teammates over his meltdown last month is controversial.
Why? Because he did it on ESPN last night. That set off Rick Morrissey of the Sun-Times, who called the apology a “stunt” and ripped into Zambrano for not apologizing to the Cubs in person. You should really read it all. Just beware of the rage and the flying spittle and everything, which somehow comes through the screen on this one.
Except, according to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, Zambrano couldn’t have possibly apologized in person yet because the Cubs won’t let Zambrano talk to his teammates until he rejoined the team, and that won’t be until he’s activated, most likely on Friday. Zambrano said that he’s wanted to apologize since the incident happened but that the team thought he needed to go through counseling first. Which makes sense from a “don’t say you’re sorry until you know why you’re sorry” perspective.
But it’s been a month now, and he’s done with counseling. ESPN got to him and he didn’t run away. What’s so wrong with apologizing in that situation?
I can’t see any problem. And really, if Zambrano had made a single public appearance without apologizing, would anyone wanna bet that Morrissey wouldn’t have ripped him for not apologizing? Not me, man. Not me.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 27
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 19
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)