Jul 27, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Because nothing is easy with Carlos Zambrano, even his apology to his teammates over his meltdown last month is controversial.
Why? Because he did it on ESPN last night. That set off Rick Morrissey of the Sun-Times, who called the apology a “stunt” and ripped into Zambrano for not apologizing to the Cubs in person. You should really read it all. Just beware of the rage and the flying spittle and everything, which somehow comes through the screen on this one.
Except, according to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, Zambrano couldn’t have possibly apologized in person yet because the Cubs won’t let Zambrano talk to his teammates until he rejoined the team, and that won’t be until he’s activated, most likely on Friday. Zambrano said that he’s wanted to apologize since the incident happened but that the team thought he needed to go through counseling first. Which makes sense from a “don’t say you’re sorry until you know why you’re sorry” perspective.
But it’s been a month now, and he’s done with counseling. ESPN got to him and he didn’t run away. What’s so wrong with apologizing in that situation?
I can’t see any problem. And really, if Zambrano had made a single public appearance without apologizing, would anyone wanna bet that Morrissey wouldn’t have ripped him for not apologizing? Not me, man. Not me.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)