Jul 27, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
Because nothing is easy with Carlos Zambrano, even his apology to his teammates over his meltdown last month is controversial.
Why? Because he did it on ESPN last night. That set off Rick Morrissey of the Sun-Times, who called the apology a “stunt” and ripped into Zambrano for not apologizing to the Cubs in person. You should really read it all. Just beware of the rage and the flying spittle and everything, which somehow comes through the screen on this one.
Except, according to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, Zambrano couldn’t have possibly apologized in person yet because the Cubs won’t let Zambrano talk to his teammates until he rejoined the team, and that won’t be until he’s activated, most likely on Friday. Zambrano said that he’s wanted to apologize since the incident happened but that the team thought he needed to go through counseling first. Which makes sense from a “don’t say you’re sorry until you know why you’re sorry” perspective.
But it’s been a month now, and he’s done with counseling. ESPN got to him and he didn’t run away. What’s so wrong with apologizing in that situation?
I can’t see any problem. And really, if Zambrano had made a single public appearance without apologizing, would anyone wanna bet that Morrissey wouldn’t have ripped him for not apologizing? Not me, man. Not me.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)