Jul 27, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Because nothing is easy with Carlos Zambrano, even his apology to his teammates over his meltdown last month is controversial.
Why? Because he did it on ESPN last night. That set off Rick Morrissey of the Sun-Times, who called the apology a “stunt” and ripped into Zambrano for not apologizing to the Cubs in person. You should really read it all. Just beware of the rage and the flying spittle and everything, which somehow comes through the screen on this one.
Except, according to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, Zambrano couldn’t have possibly apologized in person yet because the Cubs won’t let Zambrano talk to his teammates until he rejoined the team, and that won’t be until he’s activated, most likely on Friday. Zambrano said that he’s wanted to apologize since the incident happened but that the team thought he needed to go through counseling first. Which makes sense from a “don’t say you’re sorry until you know why you’re sorry” perspective.
But it’s been a month now, and he’s done with counseling. ESPN got to him and he didn’t run away. What’s so wrong with apologizing in that situation?
I can’t see any problem. And really, if Zambrano had made a single public appearance without apologizing, would anyone wanna bet that Morrissey wouldn’t have ripped him for not apologizing? Not me, man. Not me.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 15
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)