Jul 27, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT
The Marlins announced that Chris Coghlan may miss 6-8 weeks with a torn meniscus. The funny part: he did it while attempting to smash a shaving-cream pie in the face of Wes Helms following Helms’ walkoff single on Sunday.
This is a monumentally stupid way to get injured of course — even dumber than Kendry Morales’ injury if you ask me, because at least Morales’ celebration wasn’t contrived b.s. like the pie thing is — but it’s not without its upside.
For starters, it may make teams finally stop doing the pie in the face thing after walkoff wins. Which, like so many things in life, was kind of fun when people started doing it, but quickly grew tiresome and cliched. Fat guys playing beer league softball are doing it now. Time to move on to something else, major leaguers.
For another thing, Coghlan going on the DL means that the Marlins are going to call up Logan Morrison. Morrison — who was drafted as a first baseman but has been playing outfield — is a nice prospect, currently hitting .306/.424/.485 in 67 games in New Orleans, and having him up is pretty cool for the fans.
But at the end of the day this is a big negative for the Feesh, even beyond it being a stupid, avoidable injury. The Marlins have been surging lately, and are starting to get into the wild card conversation, so any loss like this is a problem. Moreover, Florida has been shopping Jorge Cantu, and the hope was that if they moved him, Coghlan could move over to third. Now that’s all out the window.
But hey, Wes Helms got pie, and he probably liked that.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 215
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (215)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)