Jul 27, 2010, 2:17 PM EDT
As usual the Cubs are trying to trade Kosuke Fukudome and this time Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they’re willing to pay “part of” the $4 million he’s still owed this season along with “quite a bit of” the $13 million he’s owed in 2011.
For the third time in three seasons Fukudome has slumped following a strong April, hitting just .218/.319/.321 in 61 games since May 1. For his career he’s a .335/.446/.558 hitter in April compared to just .239/.345/.365 in all other months.
Of course, even .239/.345/.365 isn’t totally useless and setting aside the monthly splits Fukudome is a career .257/.365/.402 hitter in 1,466 plate appearances overall, so if the Cubs are willing to foot the bill for the bulk of his remaining salary he’d be a decent pickup for quite a few teams as a platoon starter or bench bat.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)