Get your tickets to Matt Garza's no-hitter

Jul 27, 2010, 2:30 PM EST

You’ll recall that the Marlins sold thousands of previously unsold tickets to Roy Halladay’s perfect game back in May. I thought it was a cynical and craven attempt to make a quick buck, especially given that Halladay doesn’t even, you know, play for the Marlins.

The Feesh should watch the Tampa Bay Rays and follow their example. They’re making unsold tickets to Matt Garza’s no-hitter available, but instead of merely selling them to whoever is willing to pay, they’re giving them out to people who buy tickets to an event/auction, the proceeds of which go towards the Rays’ Baseball Foundation.  Unless that’s just an ironic code name for some slush fun, I’m assuming the Foundation is for charitable purposes.

Of course, there were tens of thousands of unsold tickets to last night’s game, so unless they have the best-attended charity auction in the history of charity auctions, there will still be plenty of tickets to Garza’s game available.  Please, Rays, don’t make me look like a fool for praising you by putting the ones that don’t go in the charity thing up for sale, OK?

1. Jonny5 - Jul 27, 2010 at 2:46 PM

“Please, Rays, don’t make me look like a fool for praising you by putting the ones that don’t go in the charity thing up for sale, OK?”
    Yeah, right….. Let’s just hope they put that extra money that doesn’t go to charity, towards cleaning up their concessions.. Think of the children..

2. Mark Armour - Jul 27, 2010 at 2:46 PM

So, let’s see. I have 20,000 pieces of cardboard (tickets) in my office. My choices are to either (a) throw them in the garbage, or (b) sell them and make $400,000 profit.
    I don’t see any downside to going with (b). Surely the people who sat through the no-hitter are not going to feel that their experienced has been slighted because someone else has a piece of cardboard that did not go to the game. I mean, really?
    This is coming from someone who has a large ziploc bag filled with tickets stubs to sporting events, plays, and concerts, all waiting to be looked at someday.

3. Jonny5 - Jul 27, 2010 at 3:05 PM

BTW….. http://twitter.com/Royals_Report/status/19630936754 Now why is that? I mean Greinke pitched monday…. Naaa….. Not going to happen. Right? It’s gotta be for something other than him. Yeah, it has to be….

4. mezzie - Jul 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Can you please stop calling them the “Feesh”? I love this blog but dread clicking on anything Marlins-related because of that.
    Do a search for “Feesh” on this blog and you get 3 pages of results…

5. Utley's hair - Jul 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Maybe to check out Downs.

6. geoknows - Jul 27, 2010 at 3:58 PM

You could be nice and share with those of us who can’t access Twitter at work…

7. Utley's hair - Jul 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Never mind. I misread that one.

8. Utley's hair - Jul 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM

It says the Phightins and Jays had scouts at the Royals-Twins game.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3216)
  2. J. Kang (3075)
  3. C. McGehee (2800)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2768)
  5. J. Upton (2754)