Jul 27, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
You’ll recall that the Marlins sold thousands of previously unsold tickets to Roy Halladay’s perfect game back in May. I thought it was a cynical and craven attempt to make a quick buck, especially given that Halladay doesn’t even, you know, play for the Marlins.
The Feesh should watch the Tampa Bay Rays and follow their example. They’re making unsold tickets to Matt Garza’s no-hitter available, but instead of merely selling them to whoever is willing to pay, they’re giving them out to people who buy tickets to an event/auction, the proceeds of which go towards the Rays’ Baseball Foundation. Unless that’s just an ironic code name for some slush fun, I’m assuming the Foundation is for charitable purposes.
Of course, there were tens of thousands of unsold tickets to last night’s game, so unless they have the best-attended charity auction in the history of charity auctions, there will still be plenty of tickets to Garza’s game available. Please, Rays, don’t make me look like a fool for praising you by putting the ones that don’t go in the charity thing up for sale, OK?
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 1
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 56
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 159
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (159)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)