Jul 27, 2010, 2:30 PM EST
You’ll recall that the Marlins sold thousands of previously unsold tickets to Roy Halladay’s perfect game back in May. I thought it was a cynical and craven attempt to make a quick buck, especially given that Halladay doesn’t even, you know, play for the Marlins.
The Feesh should watch the Tampa Bay Rays and follow their example. They’re making unsold tickets to Matt Garza’s no-hitter available, but instead of merely selling them to whoever is willing to pay, they’re giving them out to people who buy tickets to an event/auction, the proceeds of which go towards the Rays’ Baseball Foundation. Unless that’s just an ironic code name for some slush fun, I’m assuming the Foundation is for charitable purposes.
Of course, there were tens of thousands of unsold tickets to last night’s game, so unless they have the best-attended charity auction in the history of charity auctions, there will still be plenty of tickets to Garza’s game available. Please, Rays, don’t make me look like a fool for praising you by putting the ones that don’t go in the charity thing up for sale, OK?
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)