Jul 27, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
You’ll recall that the Marlins sold thousands of previously unsold tickets to Roy Halladay’s perfect game back in May. I thought it was a cynical and craven attempt to make a quick buck, especially given that Halladay doesn’t even, you know, play for the Marlins.
The Feesh should watch the Tampa Bay Rays and follow their example. They’re making unsold tickets to Matt Garza’s no-hitter available, but instead of merely selling them to whoever is willing to pay, they’re giving them out to people who buy tickets to an event/auction, the proceeds of which go towards the Rays’ Baseball Foundation. Unless that’s just an ironic code name for some slush fun, I’m assuming the Foundation is for charitable purposes.
Of course, there were tens of thousands of unsold tickets to last night’s game, so unless they have the best-attended charity auction in the history of charity auctions, there will still be plenty of tickets to Garza’s game available. Please, Rays, don’t make me look like a fool for praising you by putting the ones that don’t go in the charity thing up for sale, OK?
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 3
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 17
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 213
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (216)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)